Crimps

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    fishsnatcher
    Participant

Crimps apparently reduce drag when the line fly’s through the air and [in some cases] are stronger than a conventional knot, Iv’e never used crimps before so…

How do you prepare them?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Any drag benefit would be marginal at best, In theory when done correctly they are stronger then knots.

Here is a article on crimping.
    (edit: Can,t find article I wanted)

I like double sleeve crimps. I prefer the “Small Double Copper Sleeves” ones which tackle tatics sell. I mainly use them for wire because they are slower then knots.

yellowfin
    Participant

I thought crimps were for wire trace but someone else on here will know more. I make a small loop for accommodating a hook or a swivel – pass the wire though the crimp, add the hook or other tackle item, then double it back and use pliers to squash the crimp onto the line, I use a knot as well for extra confidence that the thing will hold together. Wire is quite hard to knot well, especially the thicker stuff, so a crimp helps.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Crimps are easier for high breaking strain line (around 200lb) and wire. Between 80-200lb it is debatable.

yellowfin
    Participant

You obviously need crimps for heavier line classes, as it’s nearly impossible to tie a knot that will hold. Same thing with all wire trace.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yep, although some wire has kind’ve a plastic coating you can melt to help it stay together (e.g. the wire at rebel sport), but I don’t know how much you’d want to trust it to hold the knot together.

yellowfin
    Participant

You don’t want to do it the ghetto way. Crimps are really the only way for wire traces.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Booger

yellowfin
    Participant

I think it is called sure-weld. Rebel sport always have it in stock down here.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.