Crab traps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sevengillz
    Participant

Im looking at a few different crab pots , need to stock up on paddles for the rig season.

I see theres a few different designs some look a bit flimsy and the well made ones seem quite big in comparison. Just a question or two to you potters out there , which style/make do you use and how does it go for you?

Cheers.

yellowfin
    Participant

Mines more of a snatch pot made from a butterfly net

Miliwolf
    Participant

I use the Opera trap design. They are quite flimsy and lightweight so require extra weight tied to the base to reach the bottom. They sometimes get bashed up a bit in the waves but the frame is soft enough to bend back into sharp. The size of the holes probably prevents the larger crabs from getting inside, I do not consider that a problem because I prefer to use the medium size crabs for bait.

On average I probably lose a trap a season so would be reluctant to spend a lot on a well made trap. The Opera traps sell for anywhere between $12-30 and they all basically the same quality regardless of price.

Sevengillz
    Participant

yeah im leaning toward the opera style , as ya say one a season so they cheap enough to sacrifice. Did you have much luck catching paddle crabs off Grassmere Mili?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Catches were fairly random, and its quite easy to lose traps there. I have had a few nights where I caught my limit, but more where I blanked or only caught a couple.

I now prefer Robin Hood bay, just wade out 10-15m and throw the cage in. Wait 15 minutes before checking. Every so often walk along the beach 30-40m then repeat. I fish for Rig while waiting for the crabs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.