Coopers Beach Boat Trips

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi from England.

During Feb 2013 I will at some point be meeting up with my father (From the UK) and both brothers-in-law who are NZ residents.

Can anyone recommend a good boat from the area of Coopers Beach on North Island that could take us out for a day, not fishing for 200lb idiot sized stuff but anchored for 8lb snapper and such like, and just an enjoyable day afloat. In the UK we pay about $120 per person per day, excluding bait and rod hire, in tides that race by at 3 knots with weights of 3lb so anything cheaper and less tiring than that would be most welcome. Especially as here, if you get 2 fish over 7lb during the day it’s a miracle!

Many thanks in advance….

Also, this is my other question…..

Total Novice – Advice needed

by Nigelmozz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:34 am

Hi from England.

I’ll be in your stunning country during Feb 2013 and need to find a shore rod and reel combo that will be multifunctional. I’ve seen the Ugly Stick Gold 10′ which seems to fit my needs, or is it overkill? Here we use 13′ rods capable of casting up to 275g as the tide races between Dover and France at 3+ knots. Do you manage to hold the bottom with less than 4oz? Also, why are most of your rods either 14′ long or as short as just 7′, but with little options in between?

I may buy a Surecatch tackle both with all the bits, but is this just a gimmic purchase for the gullible?

I’ll be fishing areas North of Auckland mainly, predominantly beaches with a few rocks although a trip around the Southern half of the North Island and piers/wharfs is possible. Also, any Rod I buy needs to be small. Down to about 3′ to 5′ when split as I’ll be in a motorhome.

I may bring my own multiplier, ABU 6500 or PENN 525 MAG, but would be happy for any advice on fixed spools, aka Coffe Grinders? My 13′ carbon beachcaster will be staying here though as I’d hate to have it trashed by the airline baggage handlers!

Thank you in advance.

Nigel

Miliwolf
    Participant

In my experience $120NZD for a days fishing is about the norm here.

Can not offer any advice regarding charters, I read in this thread on a different forum that Pete from Snapper Slapper is a good choice.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Miliwolf,

ever thought of a job with the NZ Tourist Information Board? If not, you are wasting your talents for free on here!

The Snapper Slapper looks perfect for my wants. I doubt if I’d have ever found such a close match on my own.

Thankyou so much.

Nigel

Anonymous
    Inactive

Am in touch with the snappa slappa thanks to you.

Thanks and all the best.

N

Miliwolf
    Participant

Good luck, Skipper Pete does have a epic beard.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh Yesss. How many hooks in it though LOL

Anonymous
    Inactive

Update….

Thank you all for the advice etc. The http://www.fullonfishing.co.nz/contents … e_Rod.html was superb. I could cast 70yds with a 3oz lead and also feel little nibbles close in.

I caught mullet, kahwai, snapper and even a stingray the size of a dustbin lid with it, just a shame the kingfish broke me off! A tip though would be get a heavier duty reel than the 200yd/8lb one i took, as you’ll need some cranking power, far more than I expected, in even shallow water.

As for the boat fishing…. my dad recommened this chap as being a good skipper….

http://www.piscescharters.co.nz/index.htm

He wasn’t wrong.

Rick looks after you from the first minute to the last. He takes the safety briefing seriously, but with a bit of humour, understands the local waters perfectly and has a very good eye for seeing which anglers need more attention and which ones just need a supply of bait.

I had two trips with Rick and on both occasions he looked after me, safely, professionally and best of all, left me alone as soon as (or am I being big-headed Rick?!) he realised that I could handle an overhead reel!

If you want a boat trip, I doubt if you’ll find a better boat and skipper. This from someone who has fished Cuba, the English Channel and the Maldives. – Yes, this chap is as good as the rest of the world can offer.

Tight lines,

N

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh yes! Fantastic

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.