Complete Fishing goose here. Help

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Ok well where do i begin.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi,

I guess we all have to start somewhere when it comes to fishing. Most anglers learn from an older family member, but if you can’t do that, where do you start? That is a good question.

Firstly which fish species you’ll be able to catch depends on where you live, or on your access to transport. It sounds like you live in Christchurch. There is some quiet good fishing to be had around this area but you might still have to travel a little bit.

We can divide all fishing in this area into two broad groups: freshwater fishing for trout and salmon (for which you need to buy a license), and saltwater fishing (for which in New Zealand you don’t need a license – but there are limits on your daily catch).

My advice is to start out fishing close to home. For example if you live near

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks Yellowfin thats some great advice.

yellowfin
    Participant

hey shadow_matrix,

jarvis walker do some reasonable entry level gear, I caught a 5 1/2 foot seven gill shark a couple of years back off birdlings flat using a jarvis walker surf set that cost me less than $80.

If you are looking to pick up stuff on the cheap make regular visits to rebel sport on colombo street, they often have gear marked down by 50% or more and you can get some real bargains.

The pier at new brighton can also be quite productive but is often pretty crowded.

For information on some other spots try to get hold of the spot-x surfcasting map for canterbury from one of the tackle stores in town, they cost about $13 but provide information on spots to try including best time, wind,

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi. I’ve bought a rod and reel. A penn Captiva 8000 reel and a shimano somethingarama rod. cost me just over 100 dollars. Been out fishing 3 times from lyttleton. have caught 1 starfish and 2 dogfish. I hope thats not my beginners luck used up

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi,

I fish the pier at Brighton regularly its been fishing OK this week for Kahawai and heaps of yellow eyed mullet. To catch the mullet use a sabiki rig baited with tiny pieces of chicken heart. Don’t head straight for the end of the pier at high tide they tend to be fairly close. The fresh mullet then make great

yellowfin
    Participant

I too fish at the New Brighton Peir

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members