Competition Dates 2009

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

not sure for fee per rod but amberley is registration on the day usually at the camp ground/ rugby field just before the car park at amberley usually 10-15 bucks ithink

yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone know entry/price for rod at kaikoura?

HookLineSinker
    Participant

kai’s usually 15 per rod

Miliwolf
    Participant

I suspect same competitors only pay the single fee then fish multiple rods. I never been checked while fishing there.

fishforpot
    Participant

Just while I think of it , the 1 rule some comps gave that I DO NOT agree with , it trout or salmon ……if you aint got a licence you cant weigh it in ……which is crap …..if your outside acclimatised waters its open slather ………

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

It used to be 500m from a fresh water outlet or beyond was OK if open sea caught Salmon.
    Some areas like Tentburn were less as I recall and may still be in other areas too.
    Have a copy of the Fisheries regs in your pocket to back yourself up, but then again what the organisers say….goes usually.
    The daily limit was still two for Salmon, unsure for sea caught Trout.
    Unlikely to get a Trout that far away from fresh water anyway I would have thought???

Miliwolf
    Participant

I know one estuary in golden bay where sea runs are easy to catch 500m from the river mouth. Also large chunks of the Wairau lagoons because that is technically the sea.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Anyone know the time for the Kaikoura comp?

I think last year it was

Registration starts at 8am
    Fishing Starts at 9am
    Fishing Ends at 3:00pm
    Prize giving at 3:30pm

HookLineSinker
    Participant

good luck fishing the comp id love to make it this year as the tides and weather look good but unfortunately my dollars dont strecth that far these days. I see no reason why the times would be any different to last year.

fishforpot
    Participant

The weather forcast looks a lot better for Kaikoura than Amberly……

Id prefer Amberly tho , at least they have rules that are enforced …..

Kaikoura when I asked at signin , how many hooks ? what time can we start ?
    I was told , as many as you want , and whenever you get on the beach – this was at 8.10am

I cant see prizegiving at 3.30 ….you have 15-30 min to land a fish hooked before 3.00 , that gotta get it back , weigh it and collate the results etc ….

Past years it was just a smidge past 4pm …….

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Sounds like it is geared toward getting holidaymakers and visitors onto the beach in a semi-structured activity.
    In the long term, it would expose the visitors to the potential Kaikoura offers and any time on the water is time well spent.
    I have fished Amberley in all conditions even in a stinking southerly in a comp.
    Easy beach to fish in the right conditions but I feel Kaikoura may offer more species to those whose lines are wet.
    I agree about dollars and believe it is near impossible to afford all the comps in the season.
    Today for example, I could be at Porongahau east of Waipukurau and Dannevirke on the Wairarapa/Hawkes Bay coast.
    Tomorrow there’s a comp on our local beach ten minutes from here.
    Porongahau a good 2 plus hours drive on a road like the one into Motunau Beach, entry $25 per rod, 4wd essential or walk a hell of a distance………Waitarere Beach, 15 minutes drive incl beach driving, $10 per rod, beach like New Brighton, hard sand and flat and 2wd is OK for about 6kms or as far as the eye can see north and south.
    The latter gets my vote if the nor wester is elsewhere tomorrow. :roll:

Miliwolf
    Participant

There is a real lack of surf-casting comps around Blenheim.

These a couple of fishing comps in the sounds but they are spread across a massive area over several days. There is a couple on the westcoast but they are a 5hr drive and are typically spread over a week. Only good for people staying over there. There is the Blind river competition but that does not occur often. The fishing club might have one but I am not involved with them.

So we only have the Kaikoura contest. Nape Nape is another option but quite a long drive. I also think there might be a little ‘localised’ Goose Bay contest.

If the Kaikoura and Amberly contest was on Saturday/Sunday I would probably fish both but they make them clash :roll: .

elmo22
    Participant

Hi,can someone tell me the hrs of the amberly contest

Captain Hook
    Participant

Hi elmo,
    Wondered when you would be back. Brian M sent me the results and I see you and the good lady picked up a prize each.
    Watched the conditions closely through a couple of websites and a close by webcam, must have been hard work.
    Would loved to have been there but these things happen.

elmo22
    Participant

Hi pete,
    Was asking bryan where u were,and he did explain,The weather was bad for the Mokihinui contest,I managed to catch 3 congas 2 ky 8dogs 2 red cod 1 greyboy and won heaviest fish day 7 also runner up for the longest fish.Sandra caught 1ky 6dogs 1 red cod and 6 snapper so she was a very happy lady got heavist snapper on day 5 and ladies overall trophy.Only managed to get 4days fishing out of 10 as the rain was so heavy,but happy with what we got. :D

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.