Competition Dates 2009

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Thought I’d make a topic to confirm all the dates. I got no idea when they are but if people can find out I’ll add them to the post. Should be Kaikoura – Amberly – Nape Nape – Birdlings Flat and there was one at Rangitata last year early January.

Amberly – 10th January

Kaikoura – 10th January

yellowfin
    Participant

jan 10th amberley

Miliwolf
    Participant

I hope the Kaikoura comp does not clash with the Amberly one again.

fishforpot
    Participant

Think I’ll stick to Amberly ……there’s something about that Kaikoura comp that smells odd …

I mean , you go to the weigh in station 40 mins after the comps finished and are told your daughters conger is the leading fish ….all weigh in marshalls have done their thing …..
    Woohoo , straight to the pub hehe

You get back to the prizegiving , and find out a guy caught a bigger fish right at the start of the comp but kept it hidden all day , taking to the weigh in himself right at the close of the comp …..

You can accept that thats possible , but then you recall that same guy was at the pub before you arrived ….half way thru a jug no less ….

The year before , after the comp was closed a visit to the signin/weigh in area to find out where prizegiving is held , the winning fish was pointed out , it was roughly only 2/3rds the size of mine and low and behold it won …strange as the bloke who caught it was north of me , and I saw every fish that went past me that day …

Its possible all sorts of strange conincidences were at play , and it was just the roll of the dice , but you tell me what other comp would let you weigh in a shark that been beached for several hours at a miminum …….

Overall tho , great comp , shitloads of good prizes , and if I didnt live as far from it as I do , Id be keen to try for 2nd again lol ……

yellowfin
    Participant

To many conspiracy theories. I’ll probably fish all the comps if the weather and conditions look fishable. Kaikoura is a long way to go though.

fishforpot
    Participant

Kaikoura would have much more appeal for CHCH fishers if they adopted a similar format to either amberly or nape nape …..

i.e. the fish are weighed or measured in front of you , and you can KEEP them …

Driving all the way to Kaikoura and returning with no fish , is not something that appeals to me …..

Especially when I was catching KY , 2 gurnard and a blue cod besides the unwanted skate/conger etc

yellowfin
    Participant

Skate/Congers and other unwanted species such as seven gillers and stingrays are more likely to win the competition than anything else. You don’t have to weigh in the fish you catch if you want to take them home and there’s the rest of the day for fishing after the competition.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I do agree that there should be a option to weigh the fish down on the beach, that would allow unwanted catches to be released rather then go to waste.

They were quite badly organize last year, they gave me 2nd or 3rd place (Which was a decent size Moki) when in reality I caught a small Wrasse which was only worth 10th place.

fishforpot
    Participant

A good point Zac , but , what about when you take kids along , and they catch nice eating fish ……you cant tell em “sorry kids , we’s eaten that rather than weighing it in”
    The two years we fished the comp ALL fish won prizes ….and you just never know what is going to win …..

fishforpot
    Participant

Oh , and as for organisation ……I agree totally ……i was a sham on both occassions …..

Guy beside was using like 6 rods ….after he’d weighed in a rig ….I asked the official “which one of the 6 rods he’s using did he catch the rig on” he had no idea , and it didnt bother him anyways ….
    Another trip , we signed in at 8am ….and asked what time fishing starts ……was told “oh start whenever ya like …we dont care”

Seems there’s sfa in the way of rules …..adults can be juniors if they want ….just a free for all lol …..

Again tho , its an awesome place to fish , and great prizes et ….just a damn shame its so far away ……

PierMaster
    Participant

kais on the 10th same as amberley

rdeejay
    Participant

Well if anyone is rich enough you could try a real fishing competition and head up to the far north for the lion red snapper classic. $50,000 up for grabs for biggest fish over all :D
    My mother lives in Te Kao so i can hook you up with free accommodation.

fishforpot
    Participant

How many of the 10 days are fishable on average ?

Sounds bloody wicked …..and something I gotta put on my todo list …Just not possible this year , with upcoming work commitments , then house additions Ive just started , and trying to find a few days to take the kids away …
    and forgot golf …arghhh

yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone got date for Nape Nape? I guess it will be 24th?

Weather isn’t looking good for Kaikoura this weekend with rain throughout the weekend. Swell is forcast for under 1 meter so hopefully should stay that way.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey guys, having never fished the comps before I was wondering what the normal registration is for Amberley at least ? Can you register on the day, & where ? Is the fee per rod, or whats the go normally ? Will give it a crack if conditions are favourable.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.