Cloudy bay

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Why do we ‘avoid’ cloudy bay?

It has 25km of tempting look surf beaches, and 15km are easily accessible. It is basically a continuation of the east coast surf beaches which stretch all the way down to the Clarence.

I have fished the beaches on a handful of occasions mainly during winter, caught the odd red cod and small shark. During the summer I spend quite a bit of time spinning or flyfishing at the mouths of the Wairau…. but for same reason avoid the beaches. I have never seen any of the surfcasters fishing at the mouth land anything impressive.

Is the fishing really that much worst?

Thinking of doing a few after work missions to try my luck.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Hi mili, iv had a lot of success along those strecthes in the past few years and have caught rig everytime iv targeted them down there. i have found the best to be a late evening high tide produces the goods drive towards the diversion north from the wiarau and there is a lot of access points to the beach and the water is relatively deep too about mid way between the two mouths.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yip that stretch you are talkin about HLS is the only place down there I would fish.Unless I was after Kahawai.

Ive caught a mixed bag from there-Kahawai,Redcod,school sharks,doggies,skates and a barracouta.The only problem is everything apart from Kahawai and the couta has been small.Ok the red cod may be good sized but thats not enough to keep me interested.

No good sharks to date.Has anyone here ever caught a shark over 6ft from Cloudy bay beaches?

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Sevengillz

Miliwolf
    Participant

Tried there today, tide was doing something. Incoming I think. Sea was dirty but not overly rough. Used a combination of prawn, squid, pilchard and KY for bait. Caught 1 small KY on a large piece of squid. Time of day was probably wrong. Checked out the diversion and bar but not much happening there.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Groper of the beach at Rarangi.May have to try one of these kite longlines.

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/newsletters/newsletter91.htm

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, school Grouper swim through the area at times.

Not a fan of longlines or any other method of ‘sea harvesting’. My dad has been thinking of buying a $2500-ish electric kontiki….

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yeah im not really into longlining from the beach,I dear say I would be if

Miliwolf
    Participant

Was at rairangi today and noticed a large ‘kelp reef’ about 200m from the shore and 50 wide. It continued on for a good distance towards the diversion.

There was a second similar ‘kelp reef’ visible about 800m from the shore. I have been to rarangi quite abit and have never seen anything quite like it.

Has anyone seen this before?

Is the kelp growing out there and only visible at low tide or was it just free floating in the tide. Wished I had my kayak so I could paddle out to investigate.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Nah I cant say Ive ever noticed that before,but I was told today that we’ve had some real low tides lately so that may be why it was visible.Sounds like it would have to be a fair bit of kelp if it was just drifting.It would be interesting to find out.You may have just discovered a good cod spot.I dear say if that is a big reef out there then surely it would have to be holding some good blues I mean its not often you see recreational fishers in their boats out them ways.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I would paddle out there one fine day to check it out. Hopefully I could find the location. If it was kelp growing there it would indicate the water is still shallow a long way out.

I might even take my fins and try to reach the bottom. Could hold a few Moki.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.