Cheapest Rapalas

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    craytail
    Participant

Hi, Mr Craytail would like to know which shop you have found, have the cheapest rapala lures please. Thanks Mrs Craytail.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Is this specifically for rapalas? Because if not i can advise on a lure which is just as good, cheaper, and better casting…

Miliwolf
    Participant

Rebel Sports Bargain bins. Got most of mine for around $8.00

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Bargain bins???? where the heck to they keep those [ :shock: all the wasted years!] lol I havn’t seen them in the Dunedin store but I’ll have a look around…

craytail
    Participant

fishsnatcher

Miliwolf
    Participant

Bargain bins are just randomly placed around the store, not all stores have them, they come and go when they have aged or damaged stock to clear. Need to be there at the right time really.

Other good lures are

Storm makes good lures which are a bit cheaper then Rapala. The generic ones on Trademe also work and can be gotten for a few dollars, although I would replace the hooks and split ring because they are normally rubbish.

I recently purchased a pile of Halco, Tilsan and Rapala lures from a ‘clearance sale’ from a local tackle store, got them all for 50% off which was a bargain. To get the name brand lures for a ‘good price’ is really up to luck but it does happen.

Another option is to go for the Storm softplastic lures, they are $7 for 6 and work very well on trout. Because they are scented they can only be used in bait fishing water. There are other brands (a few unscented) which also work well but Storm are the most common.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Yes the lure i have found looks prettty much the same as a rapala it is a “Storm” WildEye minnow and commes in perch, brown and rainbow trout patterns.
    It sells for $10 on average and It sure catches fish. It is a hardbodied lure with 2 trebble hooks, these are not a floating lure just a very slow sinking lure they weigh about 6 grams i think, and they have a bib on the front so the faster you reel or troll the lure the deeper it goes but watch out because as with all lures if you go to fast the action is stuffed, the reason this casts well is because it has moving ball bearings in it so when you cast all the weight goes to the end.

Oh and tips on using these lures, are use light-line or braid -i use 9lb black magic braid, with 9lb mono line underneath to fill up the spool, i use a double uni knot to tie the two lines together- when casting them when trolling thats not nessecary, and if putting a spinner onto the split ring on the lure make it the smallest possible spinner you can find- i use a spinner off a cobra lure as they are the smallest I have seen- and don’t replace the trebble hooks on the lure with larger or single hooks, if you have to replace them find a trebble hook the same size because otherwhys the action of the lure will not work, and thats it; enjoy :)

Here is a picture, Hope this helped :)

gunnercoops
    Participant

smith city in chch have a bargain bin sometimes too.they do rapala and storm.

craytail
    Participant

Hi fishsnatcher, thanks for all your help and tips. Much appreciated!

fishsnatcher
    Participant

No Problemo :)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yes changing to singles would change the action, but the trout do not seem to care. For food fishing the triples work fine but for catch and release singles are much easier. Also if you are fishing in weedy areas singles pick up less crap.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Yes when changing th hooks around it alters the action in some lure more than others, try it with singles and trebbles and see what happens, if you plan on catch and release.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.