Catching Skate

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    LeestonSurfcaster
    Participant

Does anyone have any tips /tricks / hot spots etc for catching Skate?

thanks

Daren

Miliwolf
    Participant

Skate is one species I have never been good at catching, A skate was one of my first fish I caught Surfcasting but it was not until last month that I caught a second one, then a third just last weekend.

Others should be able to give more information, but from my experience they are more common during the winter months and can be caught in similar areas as rig. The bait which I have caught my last two on were Kahawai fillet. Being a winter active fish you would have to figure out a way to tempt the Skates without being mobbed by the Doggies and Cod.

Both were also caught during the incoming tide just before dark, but that is when I do 95% of my fishing so probably does not mean much.

rdeejay
    Participant

I would say any sort of trace that has the bait sitting flat on the sea bed would be a good start as for bait’s i’m not sure, but after watching wild south the other night on the way rays feed i would say at least use something that looks like what should be there but sitting flat on the sea bed so they can hover over and do there bizzo and hopefully take ya hook in the process . As for me i’ve just started tying up up and over rigs, it’s a great rig for getting the bait out and sitting on the bottom and i say bollocks to the price of the pre made stuff so i make my own stuff.

PierMaster
    Participant

Hey i find Kaikoura a good place to target skate using kahawai or herring for bait just on a ledger or running trace
    one time i caught 13 there but other places ive done well to catch skate is nape nape and the conway flat

yellowfin
    Participant

Anything really works for skate. Bonito worked well for me when fishing off the bluff wharf. Have also caught them using Dogfish for bait as well, so I’m pretty sure they’ll take most other baits as well. All the ones I have had have been on a standard ledger rig. One thing I noticed while fishing at bluff was that all 6 skate I caught, were all on the same day, and all the other 5 days I caught none.

yellowfin
    Participant

We used to get them off the akaroa wharf but we didnt target them.. It was just what we caught. We used a running rig with small mullet, pilchard even spottie etc as bait.I’d say any shallow harbour type place would be a good start.

Used to get alot of rays off there as well. Some of them were huge and would spend ages fighting them only to be cut off on boat moorings or the line simply snappping.

LeestonSurfcaster
    Participant

Thanks guys.

I also have only ever seen Skate caught as a by catch and wasn’t sure on the exact methods spots to target them but it is my plan to give it a good “nudge” over the cooler months :grin:

St_Paul
    Participant

Try the wharf at governors bay. Have caught a few off there in the past using a ball sinker running rig and kahle hook with mullet or squid for bait. The wings are quite tasty if poached too.

LeestonSurfcaster
    Participant

I have to admit the reasons for asking are the “wife” has finally told me to go fishing and catch some skate. She was a chef by trade so she has some good recipes for cooking it up.

Hopefully it will take a number of trips to catch one :wink: if you know what i am getting at :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

ive caught skate off hte picton wharf (when u could fishthere) kaikoura beach by rail way station akaroa wharf amberley beach napenape and kiraki beach usually not intending on getting one and usually on the top half of a pillie just cut it n half and put the hook through the head

yellowfin
    Participant

ive caught 5 at the pier in the last week at night around 12-1 am using a ledger rig with the tail section of a mullet for bait

HIPP
    Participant

I too have caught them off the governers bay warf,useing crab, one was a very decent size approx 1m from nose to base of tail, sadly the gaff pulled through trying to lift it on to the lower jetty area, much to the dismay of a regular sea kyaker lol, he not so keen to go paddeling in there now. I was after Rig as I have heard awhisper that they go in that area to breed, I have spoken to one or two local there who say that is true on even saying you can see them out there sometimes? anyone else herd of Rig in the harbour? I notice zac say they are available off the rock wall.
    These comercial adds as above are becomeing bloody annoying aye?

yellowfin
    Participant

PierMaster got a rig off the naval point rocks at lyttelton but it wasn’t very healthy looking. As for targetting skate I can’t think of anything more boring they hardly put up a fight at all more of a dead weight and don’t think I would bother keeping one to eat. Stingrays on the other hand probably put up the biggest fight for their size compared to anything else you’re likely to catch around canturbury. Might have a trip over to lyttelton some time in the next few weeks should be something around there by now.

fishforpot
    Participant

My landlord from many years ago told me when he was a kid , there were 4 commercial fishmen making a living from elephants and rig , fishing west of quail island

Id sooner fish a beach myself

oldgreyboy
    Participant

i have caught thm on squid when fishing for elles and schoolies once a pom asked me if he could have one i just caught saying thats what they use in fish an chip shops back home yuck lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.