Cast Nets

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with cast nets? Because when i was in timaru the water was full with 100s of yellow eyed mullet and they would be so easy to catch with a cast net. I was looking at a couple on trademe but im just wondering what the best size and brand ect

yellowfin
    Participant

used to have one at my Grandads in Nelson great for catching bait! was about 6ft Diameter, took a bit of prctice to get the hang of it. Theres usually a few for sale on trademe.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve had quite a bit of experience using a casting net. I agree they take a lot of practice to get them to open out into a perfect circle when cast. I seem to go through phases when I use it a fair bit followed by periods of inactivity. When I haven’t used it for a few months I sort of forget the action and almost have to learn how to cast it all over again. I once caught 14 yelloweyed mullet in a single cast! They sure work well if you toss a bit of berley on the water to bring the fish around.

Yellowfin

yellowfin
    Participant

Im sure if i practice throwing the net alot i should get the hang of it after a while. I have seen a guy in timaru catch about 10 mullet with just a drop net made from a bicycle wheel.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.