Canterbury Trout spots

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Does anyone know anywhere where there might be trout? I am talking visual trout s i can practise my fly fishing? I realise it sounds lazy but i twouldnt worry too much about catching all the fish as i cant even cast the thing at the moment lol.Any info much appreciated guys :)

cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

ok well i have tryed the stxy river and river under off the waimak river under the main motorway bridge. Does anyone know of any other rivers? I am looking for somewhere where the water is clear and also plenty of room for a noob fly fisherman to try out his luck. Dont mind traveling as long is the are fish that I can see :)

cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

again up the kaiapoi would be.some parts of the avon even

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi,

The Ashley river would be worth a look too, once the levels are back to normal, have seen many trout & the odd salmon up there. It normally runs clear so “sighting” the fish is easy, catching the little buggers not so! Access is good & if you have a 4wd its fairly easy to negotiate the river bed & drive upstream fishing the most likely looking pools. There was a big fresh through it last week so fishing might be quite good at the moment.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea thats a good one as well i hadnt seen the ashley for a few weeks and last i saw it was real low the waimak is still dirty as well from going over this arvo. up the ashley by the gorge motor camp there is also a good spot with it being clear but some parts are not so open

yellowfin
    Participant

Caught a 5 1/2 pound brown from the Ashley Gorge on Waitangi Day. Any idea when the salmon will try and head up the waimak after the river drops a bit?
    Grimace

yellowfin
    Participant

Cool thanks guys,
    I think I will give the Ashley a crack in the weeked(weather permitting. I think the river should be perfect maybe wednesday if there is not anymore rain, thats a decent guess for ya ;) I suppose it would depend on whats happening inland too, speaking of….has anyone heard of or them selves caught salmon up the river further this season? Also where do I go for to get up the river further? is there any access further up past the gorge?

p.s any other fishing spots would be awsome too KEEP IM COMMING! :wink:

yellowfin
    Participant

grimace

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.