Canterbury Lure Rod questions ?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hello All.

Relatively new (7 years) to the south island and getting too old (joints) to keep working upland rivers, Thus I’m setting up a Canterbury Lure Rod (to fish west and east coast salmon and sea-trout river mouth areas) and to that end I’ve purchased a 10 foot Okuma Razor lure rod & a Shimano Moocher ….as per the literature I’ve found online.

My first questions are regarding mono – I’ve seen references to 40 or 50 lb mono for the running line ….what do y’all reckon is better (weight-wise) and why?

What brand of mono do you favor – and the reasons (abrasion resistance, suppleness, less coil-memory, etc.) ?

Leader weight and length – has anyone tried flurocarbon leader material in shingle bottomed lure fishing?

I’ve also read various weight recommendations – do you prefer a single heavy ( 2 oz or so) banana-shaped weight at the top of the leader or a string of lesser weights ?

Swivels or not – in terms of the weight’s two ends.

I’ll be fishing rabbit strips, lightly dressed Clousers, smelt flies of various configuration and may try my had at making some silicone flies…..and good links to silicone fly building techs?

Also setting up a 7 weight fly rod for estuary fishing for sea trout as I found I was over-gunned with my eight – any tips appreciated in that area as well.

Apologies for all the newbie questions – I’ve been fishing all my life but coastal south is;land’s a different kettle of fish altogether and there’s nothing (in my book) like local knowledge.

Thanks

Wader63

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Wader63 and welcome aboard!
    1. In answer to your first question regarding line weight when setting up your Canterbury Lure Rod. The main consideration is to spool your reel with a heavy monofilament line that is sufficiently heavy, and thick in diameter, so that it doesn’t cut into your hands. Lure rod fishing requires that you run your line through your hands constantly while fishing. The last thing you want is needless line cuts. Most anglers use 40 – 60 lb mono. It sounds silly spooling with such heavy line but protecting your hands is the idea behind it.
    2. My lure rod reels are spooled with some cheap line I bought at The Warehouse. It works for me.
    3. I use either 15 or 20 monofilament traces. These can be up to 2m in length when fishing a lure rod. I keep mine a bit shorter having one about 1.5m and the other 1.2m. I use Maxima for the traces.
    4. Flurocarbon leader material sounds like a good idea when the rivers are very low and clear for fishing size 6 lures. I don’t know anyone who uses Flurocarbon traces when fishing the lure rod.
    5. Using a string of 4 or 5 lighter barrel leads to make up the required weight is way better than fishing a single heavy banana lead. With the “daisy-chain” of leads you get fewer snags and the whole rig seems to cast better. This is very much a personal preference as there are top anglers who fish both forms of lead weight. Also quite popular nowadays for lure rod fishing is a single lead weight hanging from a split-ring. The leads are made by chopping in half various size banana sinkers. This rig is surprisingly good at not snagging on the bottom. It is quicker and easier to make than a daisy-chain. It is quick to change weights with a pair of split-ring pliers – well worth a try!
    6. I always use a swivel at either end.

The biggest problem most beginners (and many experienced) anglers find when fishing the lure rod with two traces is the constant tangling of the two traces together. Always untangle the two before casting again because if a knot forms in the trace it will break-off at that point when you get a good fish on. Some guys are very good and get hardly any tangles. But even the best anglers still get some.

Another thing that happens in crowded situations is that anglers pick up another’s gear causing awful tangles. The answer, aside from moving, is to have fresh rigs all tied up and ready to tie on quickly and so keep fishing. More on Canterbury Lure Rod traces https://fishingmag.co.nz/Searun-Trout-Double-Hook-Rig.htm. Good Luck! :)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.