can you eat rays???

homepage Forums Fishing Forums Cooking Your Catch can you eat rays???

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mulletman
    Participant

hi all i was wondering if you can eat stingrays and skate, or do they have to much mercury in them??

yellowfin
    Participant

you can

skate r alright fryed in a pan of oil or baked
    but stingray r shit and have horrible texture , taste. full of worms also. worse than barracoutta

Miliwolf
    Participant

I never done it but people whole keep them for eating normally only take the wings.

yellowfin
    Participant

yeh well its obvious that the wings is all u can eat

yellowfin
    Participant

im sure you could eat the other parts too sam if people eat goats nuts etc they sure can eat a while stng ray… and i have heard they aint too bad too eat

Miliwolf
    Participant

Been told by a few immigrant vineyard workers they eat all of the ray. Suspect the body would get boiled into a kind of soup.

They also hang them (along with any doggies and red cod they catch) out to dry in the sun and I been told everywhere around their accommodation smells putrid from the partly decomposing fish. Suspect the rotten flesh adds flavor.

mulletman
    Participant

wheres good spots to catch rays ive caught them before at kaikoura any other good spots??? :?:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Heaps in the Sounds over summer but probably to far north for you.

mulletman
    Participant

we go 2 the sounds every christmas hoiladays. the old man has a haines hunter i cant remeber what kind though hes put it in storage as we have a lack of room at our house. I once caught a big stingray up here at waimari on a long line. man it was a mission relesing that thing :grin: :grin:

mulletman
    Participant

what about skate??? :?:

yellowfin
    Participant

yes?? what about them?

Miliwolf
    Participant

They seem to be fairly common everywhere, caught a few in the Sounds during winter. Seen a lot caught in Marfells bay over winter, Caught a massive one just past Kekerengu during autumn but that was the only one in that section over many trips. Seem to be the main catch at the Kaikoura Surfcasting competition each summer, We also caught about 30 between 5 of us when we held a small forum contest at Conway. So they seem to be everywhere in my experience.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea pier master and i got a few last w.e in kaikoura i caught 2 at once which was a suprise

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.