cambell live ,on canterbury rivers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hookusup
    Participant
    smokin’ joe
    Participant

funny thing about large areas around Selwyn, the forestry was sustainable, shetlered the nor’west (less erosion ) and still created jobs/wealth. trees are gone, so has the water, and building a house is constantly getting more expensive as the millable timber is further from the mill.

loose loose situation unless you are a greedy dairy farmer..

no mention of the fishing/water quality in others down my parts. Pareora was a great trout river less than 30years ago………. now so polluted, at times they recommend even your dog isn’t safe swimming in it.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Only 5 years ago I was catching Trout on the lower Pareora river by the main road bridge but now there’s only a semi stagnant trickle even having reasonably wet summers over the last couple of years hasn’t helped at all. I guess that’s what happens when you try and set up Dairy farms in an area only suited to sheep.

Good thing we have the Opuha dam to help regulate the Opihi otherwise it would suffer the same fate.

smokin’ joe
    Participant

troutfishernz

oompalompa
    Participant

it probably doesnt help that counsiloers in selwyn district council have or had shares in central plains water ltd, that wants to take more water out of the rakaia and waimak.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.