Buying a Surf Rod and Reel

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

A kayak would be good for taking baits out for some Land Based Shark Fishing. I was watching a video on youtube and a guy was targeting thresher sharks from a kayak.

yellowfin
    Participant

yeah I hope to use it to take lines a good distance out.

yellowfin
    Participant

This threads been dormant for awhile so thought I’d throw in a cheaper rod Im l@@king at purchasing for surfcasting, anyone used an Okuma X-Factor? Prob the 14ft although the 15ft is another option. Am considering because of price,lightweight, & action, as I believe them to be very similar to my Salmon surf rods. Cast weight 3-5oz,( I generally dont go fishing in conditions that require more weight than this to stay wet!) Am hoping to be able to use with a Daiwa slosh reel, so may look at an additional lower reel seat(personal preference) & line guides if I have to. My ssr’s max out at 3ozs casting weight, not much when you get some big sloppy baits & tackle etc on the end.
    Thoughts or comments please…

cheers G.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have no experience with the X-factor surf rods but the other rods in that series all seem to be great value for money.

yellowfin
    Participant

Have had a cast or ten with one was ok but a bit soft and tended to fold on the hit.
    What about a killwell as you can get one of the cheaper ggx? ones set up from the killwell factory as a freespool rod then the guides will be on the correct side of the rods spine.

yellowfin
    Participant

does anyone know much about the okuma range of surf rods. mainly the preadator,solaris and and axeon?

Miliwolf
    Participant

My Solaris is a good rod, was not overly expensive.

yellowfin
    Participant

just saw on trade mne a kilwell Goliath a 18ft 4 piece surf rod i imagine it would be a rather unusual rod to use being the longest i have ever heard of

St_Paul
    Participant

Have a solaris and an axeon, both good rods and got them for reasonable prices. The axeon is a bit stiffer than the solaris

yellowfin
    Participant

Bought a Okuma Solaris 13ft 6 3pc Surf Rod today, have been playing with the Axeon and the Solaris for a few weeks, and came to the conclusion that I didnt think spending any extra money on the Axeon would help me in any great way to catch any more fish.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.