Buying a Surf Rod and Reel

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

u usaually use a

yellowfin
    Participant

My only really good rod at the moment is the 12ft Beastmaster rated to 15kg. Its graphite so its really light and the Tica Dolphin reel goes good with it. Most of my other rods were just cheap ones. But i have landed some big fish on them all.

yellowfin
    Participant

exactly you dont have to spend alot of $$$ to catch fish

yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone here got a Penn Slammer (3-piece) – just won one in a comp, looks nice, not sure how it will be in full flight?

yellowfin
    Participant

yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone on here ever used a Tica GC Cybernetic Surf reel? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Fishing/Salt-water/Reels/auction-101776086.htm

It has a huge capacity of 330 yds of 30lb Nylon and it is only $159. It says it can also

yellowfin
    Participant

zac if you are still looking fora real

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks but i have already had a look there

yellowfin
    Participant

ok sweet az

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Zac I’ve got a Penn Powerstick and I think it’s bloody brilliant got it off trade-me for

yellowfin
    Participant

Damn.

I must be a kind of tackle snob going out and buying all of the ‘expensive’ rod and reels. Well not the most expensive but in the price range of $200-350 . Still double what most of you paid. I like to buy good gear to start with which means less temptation to upgrade.

The saddest thing is, I have not gotten around to using any of my surf gear let and I have own a few for quite a while.

My main problem with Surf Casting is that I get bored of all of the waiting around for a fish to strike. At times I use a light rate spinning rod but that gets boring after a while. Maybe I should buy a Nintendo DS and play that while I wait for a fish to strike, but expensive electronics and salty hands do not really make a good combination.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi miliwolf i guess u need to ask your self a question of exactly what are trying to achieve with surfcasting as it can mean alot of waiting around, iv been there and done that it is then that you try a few different things and you may surprise yourself what you may achieve and also make the waiting less boring trust me it getys less boring with time. I have been trough the motions and now find i dont wait long before a fish is tugging at my lines., Hope this helps those thoughts of being bored go away.

I spent many hours at the beach before i caught my first fish at least ten outings infact before luck struck, the biggest thing i found was the type of bait made a big difference so my advice would be try different baits when your at the beach.

yellowfin
    Participant

I first have to find time.

Once summer starts it should be easier to get onto the beach. Surf casting is no fun in cold windy weather.

On the weekend if the weather is fine I normally head up river to target trout, or if the sea is calm go for a dive. In a couple more months I would be getting a Fishing Kayak which would reduce my surf-casting opportunities even more.

At this time of year the trout fishing is a bit slow so I must give it a go. The weather is looking good on Sunday so might head down to Kaikouria.

A few days ago I planned my ‘trout fishing’ yearly plan. Both October, November is prime small stream fishing time. But from December-March the trout have mostly moved back to the main rivers, although still good fishing there is less pressure. So hopefully I would find time for several dedicated surf casting missions this summer.

yellowfin
    Participant

Where are you planning on going out in the Kayak? What are you going to target?

yellowfin
    Participant

Would do a few Snapper fising trips in the outer sounds.
    A few Blue Cod trips from Kaikouria, would also test Ward Beach out.

Would paddle out to the Marfells beach weedline and do a bit of spearfishing. Might also do a bit of fishing around Port Underwood.

So would mainly target Blue Cod, but during the summer a odd Kingie/Snapper mission would be done. I would also use it to get to more remote spearfishing sites.

Maybe also a couple of trips into the local Lakes.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.