Buying a Surf Rod and Reel

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

hey zac,
    have a look at the new shakespeare surf rod they have in at R&R sport in ashburton, 2 pce 15′ super stiff butt for about $150, bit more than you wanted to spend but for the extra $$ it has a 5 year warranty.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi. Just been into R&R today. I saw that rod. I might have a think about it. But I was hoping for something a bit smaller like 13 foot so i can use it for fishing at the New Brighton Peir since i go there often

yellowfin
    Participant

do you need something that long for pier fishing? would have thought 10 – 12ft would be better for pier work.
    Seriously though try some of those local beaches as they can fish quite well and save you a packet in fuel

yellowfin
    Participant

I am still looking for a new rod. Still looking at getting the Penn Biggame Spinfisher but i am also looking at a shimano beastmaster 12ft. Anyone had experience with a beastmaster? From what i have heard it is supposed to be a good rod.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Zac
    the beastmaster is supposed to be an ok rod, if you are down at wakanui look for an old bloke with a white station wagon, he knows his stuff when it comes to rods.
    Had a look at the spinfisher today and wouldn’t recommend it, butt section bends way too much for my liking

yellowfin
    Participant

I have decided that i will most likely get the Beastmaster. And i have brought two new reels one for my beastmaster im getting and the other for my older rod. One is a Tica Dolphin Long Cast Reel with 13 ball bearings and Gear Ratio 4.2:1. The other a Silstar Hypa HF-80 with 5 ball bearings and gear ratio 5.2:1.

yellowfin
    Participant

the dolphin is a damn good reel, I have the model down from that one the sceptre, both are suitable for the new superlines too. have been having a play with fireline in the surf and so far the results have been good, better casting distance and great bite detection.

yellowfin
    Participant

St_Paul – im heading out soon to wakanui beach to have a fish for a couple of hours depending on how rough of calm the sea is and if im catching anything. I will be getting my beastmaster sometime this week so i will be having my first fish with that next weekend at the New Brighton Peir but i will be mainly targeting yellow eyed mullet for bait for the weekend after that when i am going up again.

yellowfin
    Participant

i have also got

yellowfin
    Participant

I am now thinking of getting a beastmaster 10ft or a similer rod rated to 15kg. The shorter rods make a fight with a big fish a lot easier and if your not worried about casting distance too much it is the better option.

yellowfin
    Participant

and if it is to be used off the pier it would make it easier to manouver

yellowfin
    Participant

i bought the 15 foot surfcaster that fishabell is selling the non graphite one on trade me and i got a Silstar Hypa HF-80

yellowfin
    Participant

What brand is the rod you got?

yellowfin
    Participant

silstar i just needed

yellowfin
    Participant

i have four main rods –

Surf Rods –

12ft Jarvis Walker 12kg with Hypa HF-80

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.