Broadbill in kaikoura

Posted By mulletman On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 20 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  mulletman 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

shark slayer
    Participant

the last thing that coastline needs is someone getting onto broadbill and then blabbing about it all over the internet it tajes enough of a hammering as it is..in the last year or so someone up north figured out how to get broadbill during the day and went scyting about it all over the place now they are all doing it..you now have small 4-5 meter trailer boats going out and getting broadbill..i was reading an article in nz fishing news a couple of months back that some jerk had written about catching and keeping 3 broadbill in 2 days in his 5 meter boat..it equated to about half a ton of meat..thats the sort of meathead mentality you would get if broadbill where started being taken off kaikoura..i beleive commercial opperaters are allowed to target them again aswel..they are better left untouched off kaikoura..i think they should bring in a law where all game fish that can grow in excess of 100kg should have a 1 per year seasonal limit on them and you should have to have a licence for it and that licence should be at least 2-300 dollars and the money could be put towards research on population,migration habits etc..wouldnt happen tho because fishery policy in nz is weak and the majority of people only care about what they can take from the ocean and dont give a fuck about preserving our wonderfull marine life and fisherys.

croozer
    Participant

To be honest mate, you seem to take your share from the resource. You are obviously a very good angler, and one that probably has very good intentions, but please lay off the holier than thou crap, doesn’t really suit you. We all care for our environment, in our own, individual ways. Granted, some more than others. To be honest, I doubt that the whole recreational fleet in NZ would take as many Broadbill in a year as one competent commercial captain would take in their best week of the year. As it is, people have probably known or at least thought about fishing for them out of Kaikoura/Mutanou( wrong spelling, I know), for years, but the logistics of actually doing it successfully are way beyond your average amateur angler. Not to mention, it is a fairly daunting place to be at night for your average person. I know they are targeting them in daylight up north, but night is still prime time. Anyway, have a great, fruitful summer, and don’t worry too much about the Broadie stocks being decimated by the anglers, cause I doubt very seriously it is ever going to happen. Hopefully we will meet up one day, be good to have a yarn, cheers.

shark slayer
    Participant

thanks for the reply croozer..yes i take fish..i only eat fish not meat so i get enough that i am in constant supply for my eating..people who take offence to the shit i say always comment “you take your fair share”and yes i do but i normally take well less than my limit ..i fish for a very wide range of species and dont just hammer the same old species day in day out and your not going to see me taking large quantities of big species that are in small numbers or hardout targeting fish that have been heavily reduced in numbers..the daytime broadbill fishing up north is proving to be as if not more productive than night fishin g and makes targeting those fish alot easier as we can see by the fact that small craft are being used to take them..i am not saying its not ok to fish for them im just saying there are alot of assholes out there that dont care and take what they can get there hands on..like the douchebag that wrote the article in fnz..whi needs half a ton of meat and 3 broadys killed in 2 days by one person..sorry but thats bullshit..and that sort of shit will happen in laikoura if it was foumd out..you dont have to like my opinions you certainly wont be the first but i dont care what people think i say them anyway cos thats my style i like to talk strait..thanks for your opinion tho you seem like a passionate fisherman and thats all good in my books..the season is underway..good luck mite see you on the beach..tight lines 8)

fishforpot
    Participant

No body say “elephant fish”

Almost remeshed my rebuilt whitebait net …..gobys are all done .

Wont know myself with flash gear …..bet I catch even less bait now lol

shark slayer
    Participant

elephantfish!!..were? let me get my kontiki and 2000 litre chilli bin ready.. :lol:

yellowfin
    Participant

Here is a picture of the broadbill that washed up in the Avon-Heathcote estuary back in the 1990s. From memory I think it was still alive when discovered and died soon after? :grin:

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members