braid cost/benefits???

Posted By beefbandit On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 10 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  beefbandit 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

beefbandit
    Participant

hey all

I have a 15ft shakespeare uglystick, with a daiwa opus 5500 reel. I have been casting good distance using 20pound main and 60 pound leader (both mono nylon).

I was looking through the forums an theres not a definate answer to which ones better. so my question is would the cost outway the benefits if i went braid?

and also would being able to cast that extra distance help at all down here around waimate?

cheers MK

troutfishernz
    Participant

Ive Tried 20lb braid on my surf reel and found the extra distance great but whether its worth the extra cost I am not sure, as I had quite a few snap offs and tangles with it so ended up going back to nylon, However Ive heard using a heavier braid like 30-50lb is the way to go as its still way thinner than 20lb mono so you can still cast a long way but get less problems.

Extra casting distance is always great to have when fishing any of the beaches around Waimate but as long as your casting past the first breaker you’ll catch fish.

yellowfin
    Participant

I too used too use braid, but found you need good braid otherwise it gets knots and wears out fast.,

Miliwolf
    Participant

For my style of surfcasting I do not need great distance so braid offers few advantageous over mono. It is more sensitive, but that means more false positives would be detected. Like ginga said, braid is also more prone to abrasion, so best used on calm, or sandy beaches. My line of choice is a average or better quality 20-25lb mono. I do not believe the extra price for high end performance lines are justified.

For all other types of fishing I basically use braids, but sticking with mono for surfcasting.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yup that’s it mili, welcome back btw , I like ultima lines or suffix brands

Sevengillz
    Participant

Think it comes down to personal preference Beef . It might be a matter of buying some cheap stuff , spool up and see what you think after a few trips.
    I am a braid convert and have not used mono for a good 4 or 5 years now. I use 30lb cortland blackspot braid and have right from go. I liked the idea of a thin diameter line with a high breaking strain. I dont find the zero stretch an issue at all and I like the touchiness of it. While its less abrasion resistant than mono I think being able to fish in a big windy sea without a big belly of line being blown out sideways or getting pulled under by the white water is always going to be a benefit.
    I have been busted on the bottom when fishing big surf and the line got buried under the boulders but at the end of the day I was wasting my time trying to fish it.
    I dont find braid to be overly expensive these days , not compared to how it used to be priced but imho if you are willing to spend good money on quality rods and reels im not sure why you would jew out on your line.
    I experimented with braid , liked everything about it and where I tend to fish the pros outweighed the cons.

Sooo you probably haven’t got a real answer yet lol. Just try it out and see what you think.

beefbandit
    Participant

Thanks all, looks like im going to have to get sum and see weather i like it or not. Wont be to much of a waste if i don’t like it, im sure i can find another rod that it will suite :P .
    Might get some good fishing gloves though, i have seen some nice braid cuts to the fingers an they were on a boat.

where do you get your cortland blackspot from SevenGillz???

Sevengillz
    Participant

yeah its horses for courses really. I got it from complete outdoors/complete angler??? in Chch also Rebel in Nelson.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yes defiantly wear a glove !!! Can get nasty cuts though a mono leader can help !!! Casting a 5-6 oz sinker plus large bait , half a kahawai fillet or even small baits can easily slice fingers with the pressure

troutfishernz
    Participant

Or you could get one of those Casting aids, but when I use braid I just make sure my nylon leader is long enough so my fingers dont have to touch the braid.

yellowfin
    Participant

I use braid on several of my trout and salmon rods, plus a large eggbeater I use for surfcasting sometimes. I was wondering if any of you guys have tried using braided line for surfcasting with an Alvey reel? I suspect it would it would cast very well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members