Birdlings Flat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Birdlingsflat
    Participant

yellowfin
    Participant

Cant say Ive seen any members on here causing problems at birdlings, but then I cant vouch for everyone on every fishing trip! I think we all agree though that rubbish on the beach isnt a very welcoming sight!

yellowfin
    Participant

It’s amazing how even the most remote places these days you can find the classic blue squid bait packet. Maybe if there was a big bin somewhere people could dump there rubbish there cos I know a lot of people don’t like taking all their rubbish away with them

yellowfin
    Participant

Unfortunatey its a problem at a lot of places these days. Some people are just lazy. and I’d say the same people often breach the fishing rules as well

Miliwolf
    Participant

Has anybody else noticed the increase of rubbish at the new wharf (kaikouria) since the rubbish bin has been removed.

yellowfin
    Participant

yes mili i were there friday night and last night

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

its a real pity..when the council put rubbish bins out here they always filled up overnight with household garbage.incidently two years ago I had to confront a well known surfcasting club..we counted over 200 dead fish on the beach after they had left and countless fishing bait bags etc…mind you if only other fisherman would have a word to other fishermen they see depositing rubbish..or wantingly killing species for no reason..the beach would be a better place..But who needs confrontation to ruin your day at the beach! :(

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

The lake is open today for a few days..whitebait etc..hopefully :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice pictures. It’s a pity the lake can’t stay open like that permanently. I see the small pond is opened up at wakanui beach today and a small stream flowing into the sea.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

cross your fingers its being worked on..the hard bit are the strong southerlies but believe you me the project is going well and it stays open 3 times as long now..hopefully with joining the lakes(the V5 project)esturine with tidal movements in and out will be here soon..

Miliwolf
    Participant

Is it normal for the opening to be so close to the cliffs? While living down in Lincoln, a few weekends when I was not hangovered I would travel out to Birdlings, initial aim was to target perch (or something) in the lake but found it so putrid looking I quickly changed my mind. From memory the outlet cutting was next to the Carpark when i was there. Would be good if you guys succeed in cleaning up the lake but would be a challenge. Is the three or four partition plan still being worked towards, thats the one where the bottom 1/4 was to be salty, the next 1/4 tidal, then a couple of freshwater sections further up the lake.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

near the cliffs is the new canal..no more expensive openings near the carpark..cept emergencys…yup there is a 3 weir plan..it still depends where the Te Waihora canal goes..its all going good..time and money is being spent..the over nutrient lake will spill more to the sea and create a beautiful recreational fishing area..a matai tai is coming in at the end of oct to lawfully keep out commercial fishing..GREAT!

yellowfin
    Participant

hae guys,
    Birdlings flat seems the place to go when swells are about 1m or easing, as far as swell direction go if the favoured NW is not happening could the likes of a E swell be ok? or even a S swell ?wanna get things sussed as i dont wanna be driving over an hour to waste my time, Cheers :)

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah 1m or less is good conditions for easy fishing although days when it’s really really calm I’ve found the fishing isn’t the best. You can fish rougher if you’ve got a combination of a high rod stand or rod and casting a reasonable distance with at least a 5 or 6oz sinker. Usually I just check swellmap.com for swell I never take notice of the swell directions only the wind speed/direction. Generally I wouldn’t bother going out if the swell is more than 2 meters. Days when I’ve been at club competitions and the swells picked up with a hard easterly wind and everyone else packs up I can still fish with 7oz sinkers casting into the wind.

elmo22
    Participant

does any one know where to look or ring to find out when they open the lakes to the sea should be good surfcasting at tuamutu when the lake is opened and even might try a bit of whitebaiting when its open

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.