big sharks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    mulletman
    Participant

theres been some massive sharks taken of the peir. one was a seven foot seven giller, THATS A MASSIVE SHARK!!!, but it was caught at 4,30 in the morning.

yellowfin
    Participant

Lol, still advertising new brighton sports? You work there or something?

fishforpot
    Participant

Sure it wasnt a massive school of sharks and not 7 but 17 feet long ?

mulletman
    Participant

no i dont work there i help out on saturdays and tuesdays, peter says your a great peir fisherman :lol:

mulletman
    Participant

it was defenitly a seven giller and i had a massive set of jaws

yellowfin
    Participant

lol it was proberbly ur 7 giller zac

fishforpot
    Participant

Muppet man hasnt posted in a fortnight …..maybe he hooked jaws and it ate him hahaha

Peppermint
    Participant

haha that was a good one fishforpot

Sevengillz
    Participant

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the high number of small sevengill sharks on the coast this season? Ive been out and about and getting atleast two every trip and for some reason the average size has been from 2 – 5ft long,not anything over as of yet :roll:
    Its not a bad thing I spose as I release them all anyway but it was this time about two years ago 99% of the Sev’s I got were 5 – 7 1/2ft long.Didnt quite make the 8ft mark I was aiming for :???: .I have a mate from the states and he chases them in San Fran bay and man some of them are monsterous,im talking 10 – 11ft long with an unbelievable girth on them.Seeing pics of these big bastards helps keep me keen.
    Anyway im still hopeful for a few good ones this season and atleast I can say I have caught my smallest Sev ever this year lol.
    I see alot are getting caught compared to the last cupla 3 years.What sizes are we talking here? anyone seen any over the 8ft mark this year??? Off the beach and with a surf rod i mean 8)

Miliwolf
    Participant

All of mine are towards the smaller end.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Why release them if you can fillet them and serve them up?
    Remember to soak the fillets in salt water immediately after filleting.
    Beautiful eating!

yellowfin
    Participant

3 of the ones I’ve had this year have been well under 5 foot, one was smaller than some of the carpet sharks I’ve had. Anyone who says they’ve caught an 11 foot seven giller is talking shit because they only grow up to 9 – 10 foot max.

[quote:2ek3grgo]The maximum published length of the sevengill shark is 9.8 feet (3 m) total length and the maximum reported weight is 236 pounds (107 kg). Males reach maturity at 4.9 feet (1.5 m) in length while females become mature at approximately 7.2 feet (2.2 m). The life expectancy of this species is about 50 years.

If females become mature at 7.2 feet that’s why we should be releasing them. Why keep them when there is so many rig, elephant fish and other edible species around in bigger numbers.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yip sorry my bad for implying that he had caught a 11footer.I was trying to give an example of the monsters that they have in SF bay USA.9- 10footers are not uncommon there.
    Chances are we will never see one close to that size on our coast and I have no doubt in my mind that there are Broadsnout sevengills over 10 feet long out there.

[quote:1fxbsvnj]Growing to 11 ft. in length, Sevengills are the largest of the five species of sharks that are commonly found in San Francisco Bay, but little is known about their lifestyle or habitat requirements. In 2008, Aquarium of the Bay partnered with the UC-Davis Biotelemetry Lab to learn more about the sharks’ long-term movements and breeding patterns.

This is from 2008 studies in the same area as im talking about so as far as im concerend the experts still cant really tell us shit.
    Anyway no need for a debate as all i know is 8-9footers have got to be monsters and thats what I wanna battle 8)

Ill post a couple of his pics as examples and maybe some more with his permission.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

NICE!!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.