Best Surfcasting Rigs

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I was just wondering what has been the most successful rig used for surf casting? i maninly use a dropper rig with two 5/0 hooks and yelow eyed mullet for bait in the hope of catching anything that happens to be around like various sharks and skate maybe a big kahwai or elephant fish ect Anyway just wondering what has been most successful for you.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Zac,

The two dropper rig is the one I use most often. It is important to make it very strong in case a big shark or ray takes the hook. Most of the time I make them up with 95 lb (43 kg) mono. I tie my heavy rigs using 400 lb (180kg) Platypus monofilament. Sometimes I use wire. There is nothing more annoying than being busted off by a big fish.

On several occasions I have miraculously landed big sharks on light weight rigs that were intended for smaller species. For some strange reason these have survived not only the razor sharp teeth of big sevengillers but the sandpaper skin as well.

Cheers Yellowfin

yellowfin
    Participant

Two or three hook twisted dropper loop rig works well for me if fishing in close, I like how the twisted dropper loops hold the baits well off the line, and the added bite thru protection come in handy if ya catch anything toothy .
    http://www.fishing-khaolak.com/knots/tw … steps.html

The pulley rig has been great for getting smaller baits out further and have caught most of my kahawai on this rig using small anchovies or whole baby squid as bait.
    I prefer to use the clipped down version using and Impact shield or Imp clip.

I also use a single hook reversible dropper rig too good for larger baits and larger trace weights

yellowfin
    Participant

Another thing i forgot to ask was about the use of luminous tubes and beads. I use them with every rig i make and i havnt had the chance to

yellowfin
    Participant

occasionally use float beads to get the bait away from crabs, or a small piece of lumo tube to prtect hook connection, but generally don’t bother with tube etc for anything other than boat fishing. too much stuff flapping about cuts down casting distance.

yellowfin
    Participant

Does anyone know a diagram for a good reliable rig to use on sevengill sharks?

Their are so many different Swivels, clips ect available.

I basically want something which I can connect onto my 25lb mainline, and includes a metal trace.

yellowfin
    Participant

Heres my attempt at a diagram of my fav rig for sharks.Im not to sure if this would be a popular rig or not but it is now the only one I use for sharks and other bottom dwellers and I have landed more fish surfcasting with this rig than any other.Its quite heavy and I use it for heaving out large baits.My theory is that by using a breakout sinker my mainline/shockleader stays firmly fixed to the area that the sinker landed while still allowing the trace and baits to roll around in the current and with a light drag set a good fish should be able to peel the line out without to much resistance from the sinker before it releases.

I use 35lb braid mainline,60lb mono shockleader,4-5oz breakout sinkers,15-24kg barrel swivels,150-200lb crimped wire trace and hooks 8/0 and up.

It works for me ;)

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi team

I am heading to Gentle Annie on the West Coast this Queens B’Day w/end and will have my first attempt at sufcasting. (normally just a boat fisho…)

yellowfin
    Participant

ok i have fished over there off gentle annie

yellowfin
    Participant

Premade flasher/dropper rigs from the black magic range such as snapper snatcher,seafood seducer are also good rigs for surfcasting.They arnt huge rigs and they are strong and tied well.I dont really use droppers for surfcasting anymore unless theres alot of Kahawai around but when did Id almost always use these 2 hook droppers from blackmagic,my fav ones being the 7/0 moonglow moocher and seafood seducer.Awesome;)

yellowfin
    Participant

Yo CRUSTY1 let us know how you get on at Gentle Annie when you go mate.Ive heard quite a bit about that beach and gonna have to make a trip themways too soon.wonder if the snapper are still about.

yellowfin
    Participant

I certainly hope so !

I’ll post a report when I get back next week.

Thanks for the tips

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Zac I use an 8mm luminous bead on every rig I make and I think it has improve my hook ups by about 30 percent,the beads that I use I import myself from the UK you don’t have to recharge them with a torch like the Asian ones.

yellowfin
    Participant

What about using running sinker setup

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.