Best place in Cantbury to surfcast and what to use

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    NZWonka
    Participant

Hi there guys just trying to get back into the fishing again after a very very long break. What the best places to go now days and whats the best to use ( Bait ) .

and are there any surfcasting clubs in Christchurch. thanks people :)

fishforpot
    Participant

Id reccomend Pendarves ….and crab and/or fresh mullet as bait …..sadly tho , you will need to fish the first 2-3 and the last 2-3 hours of daylight ….or in the dark ..

The rest of the day is for bait gathering or golf ….

yellowfin
    Participant

Wouldn’t know what the “best” place is and it depends on what sort of fish you want to catch. All the beaches from birdlings flat and further south are good. Some are better than others and some seem to have more of a certain species than others but all pretty much the same. I’d say easiest fish to catch along these beaches other than dogfish is rig if you can get some crabs or prawns for bait. I haven’t come back without catching a rig every time I’ve been to wakanui beach this season.

I think there’s quite a few different fishing clubs in christchurch with a surfcasting section.

Peppermint
    Participant

Actually a fishing club that does a bit of surfcasting would interest me too. Was talking to a guy a month or two back about the Papanui fishing club, was going to go in and see what its like but from how this guy was talking it sounded as if it was all river/trout/salmon/fresh water fishing which doesn’t interest me really.

Beaches south of Birdlings have only produced dogs and the odd greyboy the 7 or so times I’ve been down to fish, though I was only using squid as bait and recently pipis. Wanting to catch rig myself but have heard a couple of stories, some say they like it when the surf is a little choppy, some say it needs to be calm and clear. One thing I can tell is that crab and prawns sound like they’re the best bait.

yellowfin
    Participant

There are a few clubs that have an active surfcasting section from what I’ve seen at the interclub competiton. The ashburton club surf section is dead but since I’m a member I can still go to any of the interclub competitons. The clubs I can remember from the comps I’ve been to are woolston and hornby I think (http://www.woolstonclub.co.nz/clubs/fishing, http://hornbyworkingmensclub.co.nz/fishing.htm). Rig do like it when it’s a bit rough, sometimes when it’s calmer you’ll catch none. You’ll get elephant fish when it’s calm though and crab/pipi works for them, although it’s getting a bit late in the year for them now not sure if there’s still many around.

yellowfin
    Participant

i believe the new brighton club and the richmond club do alot of cod, groper, trumpeter fishing out of banks peninsula. they suply everything all you need to do is pay a small fee, around 30 dollars or somthing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.