bait fishing for salmon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    fisherman24
    Participant

Hi guys i fished the kaiapoi river the other day using a float and pilchard but i didnt no wether to have the pilchard sitting on the bottom or have it off the bottom of the river, Can anyone help me on this? thanks

yellowfin
    Participant

Giday,

It pays to have the pilchard not quite touching the bottom, with a sinker attached to the line a short distance above the pilchard to keep it down.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea pillie just above bottom have a stopper up the line to stop it at a certian depth and then can adjust it to suit

fisherman24
    Participant

thanks guys,just didnt want to be sitting there for days and presenting the bait wrong and not having a chance at a salmon.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Head down and within a metre of the bottom was always best. The Salmon will take a bait from tail on but the dorsal and other fins lay flat when eaten head first, a common feeding pattern in pelagics. The float will lie on its side if your bait touches the bottom or if it snags on weed etc and stands up when presented right. I just love watching floats bounce! (then disappear…… :wink: )

yellowfin
    Participant

me to theres something about float fishing i find exciting . had done a wee bit in the kaiapoi though never managed a salmon few kahawai though

yellowfin
    Participant

Did quite a lot of bait fishing in Kaiapoi when I lived there years ago, did most of it with fly rod and shrimps caught further upstream.Two or three shrimps on a single hook and a small pinch of lead 6 inches above did the trick.Great sport on a fly rod.

yellowfin
    Participant

Socky, how do you catch the shrimp, and where upstream? Need a salmon hehe
    Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

How can bait fishing for salmon work? I thought once they reached the river, they stopped feeding and you’re just trying to get an aggressive, instinctive response from the salmon. So how does a bait achieve that?

yellowfin
    Participant

All these questions grasshoppers.To catch shrimp run your landing net that has some fine mesh inside it through weed in the kaiapoi or three streams further up.Put two or three on a lure sized hook and lift slowly up and down off the bottom.
    Catching salmon on bait works cos they snap at anything in front of them,its just a reflex action they cant stop doing.Similar to the elbow bending that Birdlings and me do often with single malt.

yellowfin
    Participant

lol good answer even a butterfly net with fine mesh will do the trick some are very very small and some are of ok size. yabbies also work well under a float .

yellowfin
    Participant

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

what do you mean stopped??? your still allowed to float fish for salmon aint you? though the usual spot in the kaiapoi is extremely haard to get to and is in a hell of a mess. hence why more of its done further up stream from the bmx track

yellowfin
    Participant

I meant stopped in the Mac itself fiery.You could spread out right up to the rail bridge and do ok.A wee small boat or yak is good to fish out of in the kaiapoi.

yellowfin
    Participant

What size hooks would be best for rigging a whole pilchard to be used under a float in the kaiapoi river and how do you put the hooks in the pilchard?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.