Bait Cost

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I’d say just about anything. I usually just chop up any old bait I have, red cod etc. I remember once I somehow left some squid outside, out of the freezer, and it got infested with maggots. So I bagged it up and took to timaru wharf to throw in, and it attracted loads of mullet. Some of the burley products you can buy work pretty well also.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

lol sweet i got some squid some old tarakahi and stuff in the freezer should be good, not sure I like the idea of maggots though!

Any idea what a cats net costs? I had a look on trademe and there was only one on sale and it was $90 I reckon I could get one for cheaper.

yellowfin
    Participant

fishsnatcher

St_Paul
    Participant

bread slurry works fine as a cheap burley for mullet, save all your stale bread up and mix it to a paste with lots of water and ladel it in.
    Cast nets work best in shallower water too, mine was a gift so not sure what it cost.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

lol yeah “Cast” net :), shallow water yee say? Well I’ll burley up at taieri mouth see what comes, and if a trout or 3 should happen to be attracted…. well thats an added bonus :lol:

yellowfin
    Participant

Careful there young fellow. You might want to consult the Fish and Game regulations with regard to “preparations”…

fishsnatcher
    Participant

I was joking… I’m no poacher. The whole thing of fishing is enjoying the catch not just throwing a net on a fish like that,
    With bait fish being the exception.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.