Bait Cost

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Ive heard it is cheap there.

St_Paul
    Participant

I buy prawns at around $10 a kg, for fish bait I’ve been catching my own. mullet and garfish in Picton or at waikawa, and kahawai at the diversion. I also managed to score forty kgs of fish farm pellets Guy in trademe, dated pellets from a kingfish farm) and find a good trail is the key to drawing in plenty of bait fish,and . I usually mince up all my frames and freeze them too

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have always been to lazy to make my own burley, and my mincer is not really up to the task to mince fish frames. Have thought about collecting cockles and mussles for shellfish burleys but unless I combine it with another purpose it would work out to be rather expensive when time is taken into consideration.

How is the fishing in the QC sounds going st_Paul, have you caught any Snapper this summer? They were about this time last year.

St_Paul
    Participant

Lost a beauty a couple weeks back, reckon it would have gone 20lb plus, managed to ping the trace on rocks at the last minute. :x
    on ho;iday from today so hoping to get a bit more in.

Trumpy
    Participant

You guys use prawns for bait?? :x

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yes. Its a easily purchased answer to catching Rig and moki.

yellowfin
    Participant

and much cheaper than crayfish .

Miliwolf
    Participant

Using crayfish for bait should be illegal.

yellowfin
    Participant

Why? its about all is good for it has no real eating qualities

Miliwolf
    Participant

Says the person who used Scallops for bait :roll:

yellowfin
    Participant

well if they catch fish ya might as well

yellowfin
    Participant

looking at places top by bait if its sdalted bait you want ive bought some before from pete lamb fishing but alot of places will do it as well was just looking before and 10kf of salted mackeral is about 50 bucks (15 shipping) where as when i bout it at a petrol station it was like 8.50 for 750 grams pitty i dont need 10kg of bait. but this is a good way to buy a bait if its one you like to use buy it in bulk and then package it into trip size lots rather than spend 8 bucks every time you want to use a bait

St_Paul
    Participant

Have been using a cast net for bait collection lately, quick simple way to go throw some burley in wait for the mullet to show up and fill a bucket in 2 throws. then freeze, salt or store in the fridge (if you’re intending to use in the next few days)
    It has more than paid for itself, haven’t had to buy any bait in ages.

yellowfin
    Participant

I was looking at getting a cast net last year. With the amount of mullet that can some up to the surface with some burley, you could get more in one cast of the net than you could fishing the whole day. What did you pay for yours?

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Whats the best burley for mullet?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.