Bait and Burley

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I always tend to use cod for bait. My other rule is first fish caught is bait. I’ve found that fish seem to know if bait is fresh or not.

I’ll change my bait every half hour or if I have caught a fish as it seems to me that fish seem to know when the bait isnt fresh.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea i usually prefer to change my bait every 15-20 min but if my lines in the water for longer than that somethings wrong

Miliwolf
    Participant

I often check my bait ever 5 minutes or so, especially if it is rough or nibblers are about…. I have found that quite often you get a strike a few moments after the bait hits the water and settled.

Sevengillz
    Participant

When I use eel i tend to give the bait upto half an hour to soak.Its tuff as hell and hard enough to pull off the hook yourself let alone worrying about pickers dealing to it.If its not been takin within half an hour then its time for a fresh bit.
    Im also a fan of using cod (red) for bait.Soaking times vary depending on what part of the fish im ready to put on.I reckon the tail end half of the fillet is a little stronger and firmer and I will leave that out for upto 20mins if theres nothing biting.The fatter meatier end usually only lasts half that and needs checking more often.
    The pectoral flaps I give upto half an hour.
    Depending what the fish are doing and what bait im using Ill give my baits a maximum time of 20-30mins to soak before I feel the urge to freshen up.
    I would easily spend half a day and more on the beach at any one time and I like to use big baits so I make sure the baits are on good and make them last.

gunnercoops
    Participant

Help required…., having read about bait pumps and yabbies (ghost shrimps) on the site a couple of us made a pump and sucked up some yabbies….BUT how the devil do you get them to stay on the hook for longer than 1 minute?? We managed to feed a goodly amount of yabbies to the fish for a miserly return of two mullet over a couple of hours at Kairaki…any words of wisdom out there to help boost the returns? ta.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Heaps of bait elastic, or wrap them up in a fine mesh.

St_Paul
    Participant

cooked prawns are on special at countdown for $7.95KG until the end of the week. great price and they keep in the freezer for ages.

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.