Bait and Burley

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    St_Paul
    Participant

Have found the stimulate pellets in both types to be excellent. Just put them in a mesh bag, dangle off a jetty or add a large weight and sit at the edge of the surf line to let them slowly break up. Can also be fired with a sling shot over a large area to get a trail going.
    Theres another brand made from hemp seed I got in picton and they were also good.
    Usually I make my own ones from frames, oats and fish oil.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Has anyone tried the stimulate concentrate. I brought a bottle of it last weekend but have not gotten around to using it.

yellowfin
    Participant

Stimulate pellets are all i’ve tried so far. But I would say all the other Stimulate brand stuff will work just as well.

St_Paul
    Participant

Is that the clear one with the dropper bottle? Have tried it before and works as well as the other stuff they make. I see in fishing coast to coast they are going to be making biodegradable softbaits with stimulate too

Miliwolf
    Participant

I found the price of frozen burley to be a bit expensive for how long it lasts. So was thinking of visiting kiwi seeds tomorrow and purchasing a bag of pig feed or duck pellets ect… Then pour that into a big bin and mix in a couple of containers of fish oil…

Should hopefully make a nice brew for relatively cheap and should encourage the baitfish into the shallows and hopefully a kingi.

Would probably take the ‘pellets’ dry to the sea and mix it up in a bucket as required. Might even start the burleying with a kg or two of frozen fish burley.

Miliwolf
    Participant

10kg of duck food for $11, not bad.

Now just need to add oils and scents. Would have to compare price of homemade vs commercial pellets.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Tried salted bonito bait today, this stuff was crap. Even with cotton it only stayed on the hook for a few seconds before being ripped to bits. In saying that pilchards and Piper fared little better…

Is this typical of salted bontio? Was impressed with the juice and texture of the salted bait.

yellowfin
    Participant

I tried pilchards today and found them very mushy

St_Paul
    Participant

The key to keeping pilchards from getting mushy is to defrost them slowly and keep them cool. I usually wrap each one in a bit of newspaper and defrost them in the fridge overnight. they also salt up fairly well just pop em in an icecream container with sea salt and leave em fo a few days.

yellowfin
    Participant

i usually find salted bontio very good

yellowfin
    Participant

St_Paul

St_Paul
    Participant

either is fine, once they have been in the salt for 2-3 days you can refreeze them as often as you like.
    Inormally use an icecream container to salt them in you can then use the salt for a couple of batches

Miliwolf
    Participant

Do you think the salting makes the bait less effective?

Sevengillz
    Participant

I wouldnt imagine it would make it any less affective.Although some baits seem quite shitty when salted.Like Bonito,I will never use salted bonito again.The skin might of tuffened up a bit but unless you have half a spool of bait elastic wrapped around it the meat just flakes off.
    I was told that salting cooked mussel meats turns them real rubbery and tuff.Anyone tried these?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Been using Bonito a bit over the last few trips and I have changed my mind, it seems to be quite good. I suspect when I used it in the Sounds all of the herrings in the burly trial would of ripped it to bits in seconds, it lasts a long time in the surf. Only caught a couple of red cod on it but the fishing has been slow.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.