Bait and Burley

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

yea i usually get frozen ones as well but the ones that have been precooked and then just chuck them straight ito the freezer although id use more than a handfull each time i go out

St_Paul
    Participant

Are you tieing them on with bait cotton/elastic? I can usually get a couple of fish on one bait before having to put on a fresh one, unless theres heaps of crabs about and generally find that a float on the hook trace keeps them away for a bit longer than without one

yellowfin
    Participant

no im not aye id rather use a fresh one than carry on using a old one i always like to change my bait to fresher ones every 15/20min but oprefer ti get a fish in like 5 min lol

St_Paul
    Participant

tie them on using a fine elastic I know that rig and ele’s can peel them off the hook easily unless they are tied on. given that they are cooked there really is no such thing as a “fresher” cooked prawn

yellowfin
    Participant

lol true i do have bait elastic but only really use prawns at places like kaikoura or birdlongs amberbley which is closeer to me isnt really a rig and ele area and i dont fish pines and kiraki only the waimak mouth even though its like 5 min away i find its way way way to shallow like 150m out its only up to ur waist

St_Paul
    Participant

Got some seaharvester brand elastic and its the shizz, very fine, super stretchy and strong. would highly recommend it. Is similar to the garys bait elastic but a lot cheaper.

yellowfin
    Participant

although having the braid now may make it easier to fish these beaches

yellowfin
    Participant

i have elastic for it i cnt remember where igot it but it was bloody cheap and does the trick when i decided to fish with mussels or omething like that i just never had the problem with prawns flying off while casting

St_Paul
    Participant

elastic also stops nibblers or crabs stripping your hooks quite so quickly too. cooked prawns can also fall apart when they hit the water not just when casting

yellowfin
    Participant

ok then sweet as i may give this a try.

St_Paul
    Participant

If you’d be keen to head out for a fish sometime flick me a PM

yellowfin
    Participant

yea will do if i enter the birdlings comp i may see you there. if conditions are good should try get a few of us there maybe

hi this is a great topic i used a couple of berley bombs today while surfcasting but tangled in lines everytime i tried.. i was fishing 3 rods though which made it impossible to get it out without tangling in line. it attracted the fish though beacause i saw a penguin in the breakers chasing small fish right infront of me .

i suppose the trick is not to use 3 rods or put your burley further down beach. i reckon burley works though got a huge rig 15lb atleast probably due to crabs coming closer the burley trail . i made a killer burley bomb mix in the end with herrings burley bomb chopped up doggies blood guts and chucked it out in the breakers. while i caught the rig very close to shore say just past where the breakers were due to hard casting crab without coming off or using cotton . im convinced burley works wonders surfcasting i caught 2 crabs on my line today first time..

this is what i used for my burley trail a net wit ha burley bomb in it with twine connected to make it drift out . worked wonders bar tangling lines 3 times in a row and enough was enough. nothing worst if you hook a big fish and have that problem .

would be great if any of you fishos have any ideas and of making it work. i thought of filling it with stones but the beach i fish you cant wade out far . hard chucking a big weight out without getting distance

Sevengillz
    Participant

Whose tried that Salmon berley? I think its from NZ king salmon,not sure.I reckon its the best shit Ive ever used! Its bloody expensive (for berley) and it doesnt last long but I found that no matter where you put it in,you will have baitfish there within 2 minutes! Its done that everytime ive used it.Even when there wasnt a single herring in sight.The last time I used it was down the Kenepuru off the rocks.It looked pretty dead so we berlied up and after a minute or two we had a big school of mullet at our feet.About 5 mins or so they were joined by a school of mackerel and a few garfish.I must say this stuff amazed me its just a pity its expensive.I think they were costing around the $16 mark for smallish log.

Miliwolf
    Participant

The salmon burley does have a good reputation. Tried it once in the keneperu and got KY quite quickly. I did not pay $16 for mine, more around half that I believe. About to leave for a 3-4 day tramp so can not find the exact price.

The warehouse has a simalar looking burley which can be brought for $4-5 when on sale.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.