Bait and Burley

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

I can not bring myself to kill eels anymore. They are so cool fish.

I have been told that raw rabbit is the best bait for snapper…. never tried it.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

My father grew up at linkwater and eel was all they and the locals used to use for catching snapper in the pelorus out of the dingy in the old days and he still swears by its use now.

I have tried it a couple of times but have had no real luck with it the carpet sharks loved it at seaview and a couple of skates were taken on it but that was about it.

Its a very oily flesh which makes it excellent and even though i never caught much with it i didnt actually give it a good try ever. I found the strip baiting with it was the best way to use it.

yellowfin
    Participant

I was reading on an Australian LBG shark fishing site that eels and stingray are the top bait for sharks. But these people target Great whites and all sorts with whole stingrays they take out with kayaks.

Sevengillz
    Participant

HookLineSinker

yellowfin
    Participant

by fresh water eels do you guys mean things like

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yip your average slimy silver you can find almost anywhere.I wonder if congers would work a bit better…living in the saltwater n all.

yellowfin
    Participant

oh sweet as

yellowfin
    Participant

if they have some kinda high oil content in them as well i wonder what they would be like minced up into a berley as well?? cause they dont hav any bones i believe as well and making a berley bomb off eel and using eel as bait may do some damage

Sevengillz
    Participant

Silver bellies (shortfinned) and yellow bellies (longfinned).Short finned being the most common ones we catch with longfinned living further inland.I think some people get confused with them

yellowfin
    Participant

for some reason a few other have also said cook prawns work better than raw… i find this as well. i have come up with a though althoguh many would think raw is better raw parawns are white/clear so not that visable in clear water. so perhaps the cooked prawns being orangeish/white work better is that they are also more visable???? dunt know if this is the exact reason problebly totally wrong but its just a thought any other ideas would be cool

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yeah im sort of 50/50 on that.Raw prawns smell alot different than cooked ones and I noticed when the raw ones thaw out thier natural colours come back.This may depend on how old they are and how long they had been frozen.

yellowfin
    Participant

right but it just seems funny that cooked seemto catch more at times than raw

St_Paul
    Participant

I have yet to catch anything on a raw prawn have managed quite a few rig and ele’s over the last few months on cooked ones. and if ya keep an eye out for them on special you can get them for as low as $7.95 a KG (usually from countdown) have also been experimenting with food grade squid tubes, and these constantly seem to outfish the bait type squid

yellowfin
    Participant

lol yea thats what im waiting for st_paul mate them to come on special again and then i may get like 5 kg of them and oackthem into trip sized packs instead of getting them at bloody 13.95 or whatever. i did see banana prawns at countdown the other day for about 9.95 but there were only about 8 or 9 of them in the tray but they would do for about 4 or 5 baits each prawns depending on bait size

St_Paul
    Participant

I usually just ask for frozen ones and grab a handfull out of the freezer when i go for a fish (or feel lik a prawn cocktail ;-) )
    those banana prawns are monsters ren’t they! look far too tasty to use as bait.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.