Awatere Surf Fishing Contest

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Sevengillz
    Participant

Awatere surf fishing contest.

Cable Station road , Blind River , Seddon.

Saturday 19th Jan – 10am-4pm.

$5 Entry for a 20metre stretch of beach and apparently you can have as many people in that stretch as you want as long as they have registered and payed the $5 fee.I would say goin by that there is no limit to how many rods you can use yourself but im not 100% sure,that wasnt stated.

All winners must attend weigh in/prize giving afterwards or prize goes to next heaviest fish.

Prize giving held at the Cosy Corner in Seddon with live entertainment etc.Better sort me a sober driver :D

HookLineSinker
    Participant

The tides are looking good for that one with the tide on the rise through most of the comp it should be a good one barring the weather i may even be tempted to fish it myself.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Might fish it.

Although, wanting to get into the freshwater for a while.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Thought that is was on Sunday so missed it. If anybody fished it how did it go?

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yip I fished it.Also met HookLineSinker there too.Not too sure what the winning fish were but about 150 metres south of me a

Miliwolf
    Participant

Decided to postpone the trip to Port Underwood, the forecast was not good. Instead headed up to Lake rotoiti but it was gusty up there two. Tried a bit of fishing but with no luck, got blown about by the wind for a while. Might head to the port early tomorow.

A couple of things I have learnt to take to surf casting competitions.

2-3L of water, maybe a sports drink. Beer is good if you want to encourage heat stroke. Food is always good.

Long Sleeve shirt, pants and a good hat. Lots of Sunscreen. For clothing a cool thin material with a decent UV rating is best.

These hats would be good I feel, http://www.trademe.co.nz/Clothing/Unise … 310468.htm . Going to buy myself one or two. Also sunglasses because you spend the morning looking into the sun.

Obiviously this mainly applies for hot days.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Hi all

The winning fish was a 29.9 kg stingray which was the first fish for the day

Sevengillz
    Participant

Hi HLS.

Good job man,some nice fish there.

Lol I didnt realise how far away section 80 was goin to be but I wanted to be as close to seaview area as I could.I was directly opposite the river.The guy on the green mule gave me a ride back which was awesome.

Id say you are lucky you didnt pick a number up the north end.Although that fella that got the winning ray wasnt too far away from us,the sections between us didnt catch alot either,prob say 1 red cod.I was using my normal setups and trying different baits but nothin so who knows.

Anyway we still had a good day and I will definately be entering next year.haha ive already jacked up my partners old mans mule! I reckon transport is a must if you are fishing the far ends and plan on taking a bit of gear.I see the guys that got the stingrays drove there L200 ute to there section so the softer sand cant be that deep.

Did you take the sevengiller on the same baits as the rig mate?

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Na the seven giller

yellowfin
    Participant

so it was 5 bucks for a 20m strech of beach??? did that mean

Miliwolf
    Participant

Pay $400 and get the whole beach.

yellowfin
    Participant

what was first prize? lol would nearly be worth it

HookLineSinker
    Participant

not sure the smallest catch prize was a 30 buck fishing voucher

Sevengillz
    Participant

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

so technically u really had 40m? that would be ok take

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.