Ashley river

Posted By oompalompa On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  oompalompa 6 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

oompalompa
    Participant

hi guys

never had much luck with trout fishing but my kids and i do enjoy it. any tips for fishing ashly river. i normally go just a couple kms up from rangiora ( where we live) near the 4wd track. have found an old trout in a hole, he appears to have been there for a while, as soon as he spots you he casually turns and ambles back to his hole. found one in the main flow today in same area, almost stepped on it. :grin: have been using green veltics, black and gold tobys and tazis and life like lures. but no joy. any ideas, im not much of a fly fisherman, although i love it. what sort of flies could i try?

yellowfin
    Participant

probably best to catch the big boy early in the morning when hes more focused on feeding, less likley to spook, but move slow and keep behind him.

use a really small black wet fly on a few feet of flourocarbon leader with some split shot to help you cast and work the fly back really slow with a occational small jig.

but as soon and he spots you and thinks something is up, chances are he will ignor you.

yellowfin
    Participant

You could try this, just make sure you cast well away from the fish and either let the fly drift to him or the trout to move towards the fly..http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … x9UQrm3FP0

yellowfin
    Participant

The ashley is so low that at the moment spinning would not be ideal..it tends to work better at very first light or when there is colour in the river.

oompalompa
    Participant

cheers guys
    went out again today and found a nice wee trout in the main water near a bank under some willows. beautifaul spot. i counldnt get him to take a thing. he was feeding on the surface quite happly. i threw every fly in my box at him, even the big beetle ones the kids got me for xmas cause they “look awesome dad” :) the flies were landing in font of him, beside him, on him everywhere . the fly would land float over him and he would take some thing next to it. could not see what he was eating. even went down stream for a look and couldnt see any thing. went back he was still there lol. does something drop out of the willows this time of year? was fun thought, spent about 2hrs experimenting. saw a larger trout bout 100m further up, he came over and had a good look at me while i was watching my fly come back in.

just googled willows, i did try a nymph simmilar to a willow grub, is it possible this was what it was eating??

oompalompa
    Participant

think i just answered my own question. other may enjoy the link though

http://www.chrisdore.com/willowgrubbing.htm

yellowfin
    Participant

There are many people who are interested in travelling near a river or water area and Ashley river is one of the most popular river for the fishing lovers.Many people likes to go at there for that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members