Ashburton/Wakanui/Dorie Beach Fishing

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Millo
    Participant

New to the Ashburton area and looking for some advice on local beach spots and what I can expect (hope) to catch & eat!

Any offers!

Thanks

Miliwolf
    Participant

Can not offer specefic advice for the ashburton area, but the species you would expect to catch would be typical of east coast south Island. These include several species of shark and rays. The better eaten sharks being Rig (lemon shark) and Elephant fish. These are more common during the warmer months.

The most common fish caught would be Red Cod with the odd Kahawai caught during the summer. To keep things interesting other species would be caught from time to time.

You are to far south to catch Snapper and Kingish. It is not impossible but highly unlikely. I beleive if you search the fourms you would find a thread on fishing Dorie Beach.

Millo
    Participant

Thanks……….will start to look around for some tips on the sharks…baits and stuff

St_Paul
    Participant

Used to fish wakanui once a week, weather permitting when I was visiting ashburton. Good beach from october thru to march, use cooked prawn for bait and you should get into some good elephant fish and rig. Have generally found fishes best on nor west or a couple of days after a southerly.
    Fished Dorie a few times but always seemed to strike bad days.
    another spot worth trying is pendarves. head right down the end of west kyle rd and walk down the gully to the beach, again cooked prawn seems to work best.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thought I’d post some more info.

Directions are from Ashburton.

[b:pncre32n]South Rakaia Beach[/b:pncre32n] – Follow Seafield Rd to Seafield, Continue on Christys Rd, Turn onto Acton Road
    [b:pncre32n]Dorie Beach [/b:pncre32n]- Follow Seafield Rd to Seafield, Continue on Christys Rd, Continue on McCrorys Rd, Turn onto Mainwarings Rd
    [b:pncre32n]Pendarvis Beach[/b:pncre32n] – Follow Seafield Rd to Seafield, Continue on Christys Rd, then turn onto Chertsy Kyle Rd at Pendarvis
    Pictures at Pendarvis:

There’s a small path you can follow down to the beach, and also some toilets, although they arn’t exactly in working order.

[b:pncre32n]Wakanui Beach[/b:pncre32n] – Follow Beach Road then turn onto Wakanui Beach Road
    [b:pncre32n]Ashton Beach[/b:pncre32n] – Follow Grahams road and turn onto Ashton road

Not sure what this beach this called but it’s at the end of Williams road which goes off Grahams road. Looks like a nice spot.

There’s a small stream that flows towards the beach, I guess it just goes into the ground as it doesn’t actually go to the sea.
    Tried to follow Lower Beach Road and look for some other beaches, but was stopped by a stream flowing accross the road.

[b:pncre32n]North Rangitata Beach[/b:pncre32n] – Turn onto Earling Rd off SH1 before the Rangitata bridge, Continue down to Wrens Rd
    [b:pncre32n]South Rangitata Beach[/b:pncre32n] – Turn onto Edgar Rd off SH1, then Right onto Old Main South Rd, then Left onto Orton Rangitata Mouth Rd

I think that covers the main Surfcasting spots within half an hour of Ashburton. Maybe someone could cover other spots further North/South?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Why not surfcast at the mouth of the Ashburton river?

Might be a few Kahawai around during the summer?

St_Paul
    Participant

The ashburton doesn’t run to the sea very often due to water take from irrigation, some good trout in it though

yellowfin
    Participant

Well Ashton beach is right on the South side of the mouth, and I’ve heard of people getting Kahawai there. Could also be worth a try on the North side of the Mouth.

St_Paul
    Participant

you’d be better off heading down to the rangitata heaps of kahawai down there

elmo22
    Participant

good picture zac but the best place two fish is 20 steps passed the pine tree thats the secret spot lol

elmo22
    Participant

south side of rakaia is good for rig (crab) elephant pipi , grey boy any thing , ky herring so looking forward to a good season after whitebaiting

Anonymous
    Inactive

are we into adds now ,i thought this was for fishing.

yellowfin
    Participant

No they’re spam bots that sign up and spam the forum with crap. Should be all gone once a moderator comes on and deletes it.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Excellent pictures of the beaches Zac. Every time I ever fished them the sea was either dirty, rough, wind blowing in your face or scorching hot norwester and then on the odd occasion, all the above! :smile:
    Hard to fish on most days but you found the one day they all looked the part and all you did was catch pictures???
    Good on yer mate, great to see the south coast lookin’ good.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.