Are the red cod around?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    beefbandit
    Participant

Hey all.

I have been out surfcasting around waimate a few times in the last few weeks, probably caught at least 40ish good sized doggys (kept 2 biggeys, not to bad eating but wouldn’t bother keeping them again). and finaly ONE red cod last weekend.

I have been told that this is the time of year for red cod. also that best time for red cod is night time. Im thinking im going to (weather permiting) head out tomorrow night around 6pm to do a few hours fishing.

Just wondering if anyone here dose this and if it will actually make a difference in the red cod caught? if so/or not have you any suggestions how i can target them at this time of the year?

I have noticed that high tide is most productive (with one or two exceptions). Is this the same with red cod at night?

cheers for any help all. MK

Sevengillz
    Participant

They have been fairly patchy up here , in the spots I fish anyway. Have not really taking much notice in the tides etc but have been getting them during the day usually 5 or 6 in a row then nothing. They have been suckers for cooked prawn.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yeah night time is better for red cod but in saying that Ive haven’t caught many red cod around South Canterbury recently,Not sure why really,was quite good 5-6 years ago..

Sevengillz
    Participant

was thinking that myself Troutfisher. When I started out ya used to catch red cod like ya catch spiky dogs . During the winter it didnt seem to matter what beach , tide , bait , day or night they were always there. Will see if theres any about tomorrow morn hopefully.

yellowfin
    Participant

There are plenty of red cod at the box and also at hook.
    Eles ar hook and morven beach too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.