Any Reports?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Disconnected
    Participant

Hi Team,

Been lurking for a while.

A mate, my brother and I are going out for a fish in the sounds (Marlborough) this weekend as it will be the last chance for a feed of sounds Blue Cod for a while and fingers crossed we may come across a few early Snapper. Just wanted to know from any locals what has been caught up those ways recently? and maybe some advice about where we should launch and try for best chances of success?

Thanks in advance

Sevengillz
    Participant

Hey m8,Depending on the size of your boat,The outer sounds is probably the best bet for anything to eat.Either Queen Charlotte or Pelorus.Personally Id be heading upto the Rangitoto Is area.The blue cod and tarakihi are usually fairly easy to find around the Islands.You would want to be launching at Havelock for this trip.For an early season snapper maybe Beatrix bay would be worth a sniff but you would prob wanna be fishing 20metres plus to find them.Beatrix is a fairly deep water bay.
    If launching Picton or Waikawa Id say to shoot straight out to Cape Jackson or Cape Koamaru and motor around until you find the reefs.
    The weather will determine where you go on the day :lol:
    Mid winter was the last time I was out them ways so Im just forwarding an idea or two.Sorry I cant be of more help :(

yellowfin
    Participant

I’m taggin along on this trip now too.. hopefully there is a few early snaps about.
    Even some kahawai on light gear would be good fun.

yellowfin
    Participant

I would be saving the petrol money for abit later in the year when there would be more snapper about with the warmer waters.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah I was thinking that too.. But with a company car the cost of petrol is minimal :wink:

Will definately be back up in the warmer months. I have to nail a kingi this season :grin:

Disconnected
    Participant

Yes there will be many more trips to come in the warmer months. This round is mainly to grab a few cod before the ban comes in any Snapper caught will be a major bonus. If the NZ Fishing news in anything to go by there have been some decent catches recently pannie snapper and a few larger fish, good condition Tarakihi, trumperter and best blue cod in years (funny that). Should be a good weekend regardless.

Disconnected
    Participant

Sevengillz

yellowfin
    Participant

Well we ended up with a bit of a mixed bag. Didnt really know where to head. But found a point with a bit of current and a bit of a reef.

A whole heap of Spiny dogs, smaller blue cod ( a few keepers in amongst them) a couple of small snapper, a conger eel, red cod, mackeral, kahawai and mullet. The usual barracoutta were hanging around.

Still too cold but was a good weekend and next time we’re going to thead durville way :D

Sevengillz
    Participant

Thats a mixed bag allright! Were the snaps keepers?

yellowfin
    Participant

Nah the snaps were just under.
    Oh yeah we got a whole heap of those orange perch things too.

We had a bit of trouble with the boat motor the first day. So didnt get out very far until the sunday but it was outgoing tide and middle of the day so probaly not the ideal time.

Disconnected
    Participant

Was a bit of a learning curve alright. But whats a fishing trip without a story or two. haha lol bring on the warmer weather along with the Snapper and Kingies.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Nice to hear that the snapper are on the move.

Yakkaman
    Participant

first time on the pier for a couple of years caught two 5lb red cod decided to clean the first one and let it slip off the tray back into the ocean what diddle i am so the next one was cleaned on the ground yes i washed the evidence away, still can’t beleive i let that cod slide threw my hands :oops: :x :shock:

yellowfin
    Participant

Haha, that’s funny. It’s probably quite easy to do with slimy red cod. The ground is ok as long as you do it by a hose.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

unlucLol I love those photos you see on fishing sites where the pic is taken just as the fish jumps out of the peoples hands :lol: unlucky about the cod though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.