Anchovies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    HookLineSinker
    Participant

Has anyone on here had any success with anchovies and are they worth it as an option for bait, interested in here boardies thoughts?

yellowfin
    Participant

yes thewy are very good alot like pillie byut smaller and

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Ok thanks for that i bought some and figured i would ask some advice as i have not used them before so it will be interesting to see how i get on with them.

yellowfin
    Participant

Anchovies should be good for anything that likes eating fish in general, I’ve found they’re a hit with dogfish (surprise surprise) and red cod. Some people salt them to make them tougher, though I suspect this may suck out some of the juices that would help attract fish to them.

St_Paul
    Participant

I salt mine (see the bait thread) and soak in fish oil prior to use. This makes them heaps more durable and doesn’t seem to adversely effect performance.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Yea hi went down the coast last nite and never got a chance to use them i tried to beat the swell but it was close to 3m on the beach and beat me instead the result in the loss of several sets of tackle, Bugger.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Where abouts did ya go HLS? I was gonna head

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Hi was trying off the beach south of the clarence river mouth. And yip i found out the hard way that sometimes the beach should just be left alone.

Had a quick look at the fords as iv never been down there before and the swell was rolling rightup and washing at the steep edge, but looks otherwise very interesting, i must give it ago sometime. Fishing strait off the park area seems a real possibility and would combat the big swells, food for thought.

Mal
    Participant

Had 2 days & nights fishing the coast at Washdyke & the Waiao box(Waimate)… dogfish in the droves, small greys, carpet sharks, skate & a redcod. The further north you can get the better I think.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Ok did u go through the gate at washdyke down to the beach and if so did any cocky showup to ask any questions or had you got permision just wondering as maybe it is public access that the owner has no problem with? There is some real interesting looking water along that stretch especially with all the little streams if only to know who to ask for permission!!!

HookLineSinker
    Participant

seven i take ST andrews u mean, the area south of the Ure valley it is very weedy and rocky and if ur lucky to pick a clean spot amoungst the rocks you could be in 4 some real fun if not could lose a lot of gear! Fish this area once lost some gear and caught plenty of wrasse so moki may be a worthy target.

Sevengillz
    Participant

St.Andrews that little settlement just north of Waimate.I think thats what its called.

No you dont need permission to access parikawa.Alot of people camp there and I think its either maintained by the MDC or DOC.I presume the gate is to keep stock from the neighbouring paddocks away from the main road should they get out.The area isnt fenced off on the beach side.I have been down there and past a cocky in the paddock on the southside and “g’day” was all I got.Got to be carefull though there is a couple of turn offs in the Parikawa area.Im trying to remember the name of the stream right next to the gate……will post soon :P

Mal, can the Waiau box be accessed by car easily? cheers

Mal
    Participant

Yep, you can drive straight to it, turn off at sign to the waiao marae & its posted further down the road

Mal
    Participant
    HookLineSinker
    Participant

Yea ok mal sorry, im in a different area and have made a mix up il leave seven and you to it, it just happens that there is a washdyke stream at parikawa so i got things confused sorry guys

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.