Abu Ambassadeur Seven Sprint

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 15 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Here is an old Abu Ambassadeur Seven Sprint salmon reel. Have any of you guys used one of these, and if so, what did you think about it? The gear ratio is 6.3:1. so that is very high speed. They came out back in the 1980s and were eventually phased out by the 7000s. They had brass bushings which many anglers replaced with ball bearings. A disadvantage of very high-speed baitcasters is that they were made with a pinion gear that had fewer teeth than a slower speed reel. A pinion gear with fewer teeth is generally regarded as a weak point more readily prone to wear.

The Abu Seven uses the same bearings, pawl, worm gear, together with many, but not all, other parts as the 7000 series reels. So many parts are inter-changeable on the left-hand side. The main gear and pinion of course are not. If you have used one of these I would be very interested in your thoughts about it. :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

An update on the Abu Seven Sprint baitcaster. Have been giving it a try-out recently on the kahawai. When casting and retrieving it feels identical to my Abu 7000. The one thing I do notice however is that the 6.3:1 retrieve is way faster than the 7000. If you wind flat-out the ticer comes in very quickly! It feels a we bit lumpy in the gears though. Not too bad but it is noticeable. :grin:

ripshitandbust
    Participant

They are a good reel except the frame is not as sturdy as the older 7000’s or 7500’s and if you are capable of really laying into a cast you will eventually bend the frame (shove it sideways relative to the reel foot). It can be bent back into shape when you dismantle the reel. Mark Preston who is a very good surfcaster (used to be at the compete angler, then hamills now hunting and fishing?) used to use one of these in the surf for salmon back in the day (90’s) teamed up with a tricast and at the time guy’s using SL20SH’s couldn’t heave a ticer further than he could, myself included. He had the bending frame issue and so did I on mine. Now there is a raft of reels that would outperform a 7 sprint. My one is a simply a 7 not a sprint, Identical except it has the standard 4:1 retrieve ratio. Some people upgraded these to the faster reel by swapping the pinion and main gear, I just cranked faster!

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for that. I really appreciate your comments about the Abu Seven. I’ve seen Mark Preston distance casting at the Rakaia River mouth and I agree with you that he is one of the best. I didn’t realize he had used an Abu Seven but I did know he fished a Tricast rod.
    What you say about the frame on the Seven twisting makes sense. The effect of that occurring would cause the spool to become off-balanced and make it run rough. It may even cause the edges of the spool to scrape the frame.

I spoke to Paul Thomas last week about the reel. He said that the left-hand side is good but parts for the right-hand side, i.e. pinion and main gear are hard to find, as are the side plates. He also said that the spool control knobs can bind to the alloy bushing housings (see picture) so they become locked together meaning the spool control knobs can’t be used. Once stuck together turning the knob turns the housing as well making it almost impossible to remove or replace the brass bushings. Paul says this is not easy to fix. The problem is caused by lack of maintenance. Some anglers may have a reel for many years without ever adjusting the spool control knobs until eventually they seize up. It is a good idea to periodically remove the knobs and coat the thread with a little grease to prevent them from binding solid. This applies to all models of Abu bait-casters.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thinking about it, I would be interested to know your thoughts on which reels are best for fishing the surf for salmon? Long distance casting is the name of the game. Is braid a good option for distance casting. I know some anglers are using braid on their Abu Ambasadeur 7000s. I guess two reels that would be near the top of the list would be the Abu 7000 and 7500, but which others would you recommend? :grin:

burkefish
    Participant

could try some of the latest flruocarbon coated nylon (dragon), very small diameter 10kg .35mm. is slippery and tough very little stretch and gives good casting distance with little effort and is very cost effective.

croozer
    Participant

yellowfin

ripshitandbust
    Participant

You are only ever going to be average distance-wise at best running a 7000, 7500 or Sl20SH, that said at some locations like the hurunui, orari and opihi big distance is not required. For top surf reels I would look at Akios 555 or 656 , penn mag 525, or penn squall 12 (all with no level wind) for mono and possibly one of the abu revo (level wind) series if going braid. The complete angler guys were using the revo toro’s last year I think with braid. Lots of bespoke reel tuning gear available on ebay to soup up 6500 rockets, Daiwa 7HT’s and the like if you feel like tweaking existing gear.

croozer
    Participant

ripshitandbust

ripshitandbust
    Participant

I have not tried an SL30SH, but i have used an SL20SH a lot, it was my first non level wind reel. I then had a 7HT when they first came out. The problem with the SL20SH was because of the narrow spool it lost volume too quick even with 0.35 mono and this caused a natural form of breaking. I gained a few metres with the 7HT which has a wider spool. I then got a 6500 ct mag elite. This was quicker again, although the 6500 internals are marginally robust for salmon surf fishing, and the mag slider was poorly positioned and easily bumped. Then I got a penn mag 525 a great robust reel, which cast very well but it was heavy. Then I got a great deal on an Akios 555 custom non level wind from the UK. The last three reels mag elite, 525, and akios all cast about the same distance in my hands, the limiting factor now is the rod, ticer and the caster… Making your own aerodynamic ticers makes a big difference

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for that. Very interesting I must say. Perhaps an Abu 7500 without a level wind might be good?
    From memory a bloke I knew used to use a black Shimano without a level wind that cast very well. I forget which one it was TSS3 or TSM something like that. He could cast with it a considerable distance. The big Daiwas are great reels but quite big. They were popular for targeting yellowtail kingfish on jigs “back-in-the-day” before braid, not just for their casting distance but more importantly for their kingi stopping power! I haven’t tried it but the Abu Revo Toro looks interesting but you would have to use braid to get the line capacity on such a small reel.
    Isn’t an Akios 757 the same size reel as an Abu 7500? Aren’t they very similar?
    So we’ve got the following reels to consider as being among the best for salmon/surf casting, in no particular order:
    1. Daiwa 7HT
    2. Abu Revo Toro NaCl 50 or 60 (spooled with 50lb braid).
    3. Akios 555, 656 or 757
    3. Daiwa SL30SH and Daiwa SL20SH
    4. Penn Mag 525
    If you are using braid on an Abu 7000 or 7500 what do you think about it? Does it work OK? Any problems?

ripshitandbust
    Participant

The model of Shimano you are thinking of is a TSMII C, the only reel of the TSM series with centrifugal braking. They are now quite rare. The guy who was using it was probably Kelvin Sewell, a guy who could outcast pretty much anyone. They are known as a good but extremely fiery reel.

To your list I would add
    abu 6500 CT Rocket
    abu 6500 CT mag elite
    Penn Squall 12 (replacement for penn mag 525)

I have read because of the weight width and inertial of a 7000, 7500 spool you will not make huge gains by removing the level wind, the level wind provides a braking force that is required for a 7000. Plus the wide spool means you have to pay very close attention to line lay. The very early red 7000’s which were slightly smaller are supposed to be the best casters. There is also a school of thought that says there is an optimum line diameter for a 7000 I think it is about 0.4 to 0.45. Ross Millichamp mentions this in his first book I think. The idea is that the optimal diameter gives the right amount of braking as the spool volume decreases at an optimal rate to provide braking. One problem with some 7000’s is the clearance between the edge of the spool and the frame is pretty wide and small diameter line (less than 0.35) can get trapped in there. I have used thick braid on a 7000 (suffix gyro) for bottom fishing with no issues.

yellowfin
    Participant

OK so here is the latest list of the best distance casting reels for salmon/surf fishing:
    1. Daiwa 7HT
    2. Abu Revo Toro NaCl 50 or 60 (spooled with 50lb braid).
    3. Akios 555, 656 or 757
    3. Daiwa SL30SH and Daiwa SL20SH
    4. Penn Mag 525 and the Penn Squall 12 (replacement for Penn Mag 525)
    5. Abu 6500 CT Rocket, and Abu 6500 CT mag elite
    6. Shimano TSMII C (now a rare beast).
    7. Daiwa Ryoga Bay – Recommended by Charles Smith, from [i:2ogbkdrz]The Complete Angler[/i:2ogbkdrz] in Christchurch. I’ll have to try that one.

The advantages of the Abu Ambassadeur 7000 and 7500 are that they are reasonably priced, readily available, reliable, easily serviced, and spare parts are also readily available and inexpensive. As these Abu reels wear you can replace all the moving parts with new parts even on a 20 year old reel. In many small towns around New Zealand, particularly in the South Island, the leading tackle stores will have stocks of Abu worm gears, pawls etc. Whereas they are unlikely to stock parts for any of the others mentioned here; although they could order them for you.
    You can also get upgrade dual worm gear bearing kits for older Abu reels. In a standard reel the worm-shaft is supported by stock plastic bushings, the kit replaces these at both ends with ball bearings, which apparently makes the reel way smoother and improves casting distance. Though I have not used one personally with this upgrade.
    The Abu Seven Sprint has some weaknesses as outlined above and some parts are now hard to get. Outright casting performance has to be balanced against other considerations such as serviceability if considering buying an older reel. :grin:

croozer
    Participant

Got myself the new Lexa 400. Wow, what a reel. Filled it full of 50lb Daiwa silk braid, this stuff is beautiful. Like my 300, this one is super smooth and casts like a bullet. I think I will use the 300 as a river reel and the 400 as my new surf reel. Anyone considering a new reel would do real well to look these up, they are right at the top of the heap.

yellowfin
    Participant

OK Lexa 400 filled with 50lb Daiwa silk braid. I’ll have to study up on that one! :grin:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members