5KG+ Canterbury Moki?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    ciliaris
    Participant

Anyone heard of big Moki over or around the 5KG mark being caught around Canterbury. Ive heard of fish around the 6kg being netted around port levy in the past.

ciliaris
    Participant

Ok so whats the biggest anyones has seen around these parts, diving, netted or rod caught

Jones Jr.
    Participant

This is my biggest Moki, caught off the Kaikoura wharf in the afternoon around 5pm I think? Around March or April earlier this year. Got it a bit earlier in the day then I would’ve expected. Steve was there. It was about 55cm long, not sure of the weight but it wouldn’t be pushing more then 2.5 – 3kg I’d say

Steve and our other mate rob hauled up a huge one there apparently that would’ve been pushing the 5 or 6kg mark but I missed the show, at the time was booking a room for the night. They lost it, he might’ve allready mentioned it to you at work.

Hopefully we’ll be into the monster moki soon! :grin:

Cheers
    Aaron

ciliaris
    Participant

Nice Moke! Yeah I hear you guys are planning a Moki mission this Friday. I think I’ve got Steve’s arm twisted for a trip on Sunday too if the swells ok. Back to my ‘not so secret moki spot’! Been cleaned up by some big ones there in the past but yeah this size is about as big as wev’e landed! Still a rad fish at this size. I rekkon we should put up a Moke competition this year to try and crack that 5KG mark or close to it!

Who else is keen??

yellowfin
    Participant

ciliaris

yellowfin
    Participant

hahaha u wish steve!!!!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Found this today, Have though Lyttleton would be a good hunting ground, just a matter of access.

http://www.ratemyfish.com/?action=ssp&pid=5636

yellowfin
    Participant

Haha.. Huge moki on a handline caught on old cheese.. sounds like something from the 1940s.

ciliaris
    Participant

Just shows they are there tho! Did’nt think they wore hoodies in the 40’s! ;)

Crazy it was caught on cheese. We used to fish for mullet in the heathcote and catch bucket loads on cheese! All we ever used as kids. I wonder if it appeals to the shellfish eaters too??? might be worth throwing in a block next time as back up! How ’bout a cheese and Prawn cocktail bait???? lol

This is the first actual photo of a big moke from around Canterbury I’ve seen tho! Good to see some pictorial evidence!

ciliaris
    Participant

and Steve!!! Games on buddy!! ;)

fishsnatcher
    Participant

lol probably didnt catch it on old cheese just wants everyone else to go and use old cheese :)

Sevengillz
    Participant

fishsnatcher

yellowfin
    Participant

R u able to buy cray down in Christchurch for bait?
    Up here in Napier we can get 5-6 old tails from the sports shop for $20. We use them for moki but mostly catchin lemons but its a gd bait, most things will take it.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Much happening on the Moki front yet? Seems fairly quiet

Yakkaman
    Participant

Jones Jr.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.