2014 Spring & summer surf catches

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 32 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

crabbedoff
    Participant

amberley last night for a change pleasantly surprised with an ele and a couple rig had anther couple of takes that i lost too so it was a good one.

shark slayer
    Participant

on the board in style,good stuff crabedoff.. :)

crabbedoff
    Participant

cheers shark slayer was nice to be rewarded after not getting one last year. i tried so hard and kept getting rig ,one day took a couple of beginners out
    and they got 2 each. murphys law tho aye .oh well on the board now like to land a big cow this year and put her back.

shark slayer
    Participant

getting rigged out while specificaly targeting eles would be annoying thats why when i am targeting eles i try to use ele specific baits as much as possible..went out yesterday eve..one cast one ele..a big cow ..11.8lb..couldnt put her back she had completely wrapped up on the trace..one of the best ele fights i have had..took a long time to: land it..

yellowfin
    Participant

Elephantfish at Amberley. That’s good to hear. Well done! :grin:

Duckman
    Participant

went to my most usual beach friday arvo, southerly beat me but only lasted an hour, got to fish and about 9.00pm got my first decent Ele, half an hour later a carpet shark, had a couple of good hits but didn’t hook up so fished til 11.30pm then packed up for the night, got up saturday morning, was very quiet most of the day, couple m8’s came, i ended up with a decent rig and kahawai, one m8 got a rig and couple of kahawai while the other m8 got a skate and hooked and snapped off on a giller and lost a decent rig, starting to heat up fishing wise in the north now

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Got out for a fish yesterday afternoon over high tide with the wife and young boys, was great days fishing not for the catch but for the time spent with the family. Suspect sea temps still low in this area as the usual winter catch were bagged red cod and spinys.

jamie
    Participant

8 ellies off st andrews sunday night, good feed

shark slayer
    Participant

i assume you put 3 back?or there were two of you fishing?seems to be a few people around that dont know what bag limits are…certain locals along kaitoriti spit seem to think its ok to exceed limits if you give the excess away…when will people learn…good to see healthy numbers of eles around tho..and lack of trawlers and the few i have seen have stayed out 3km or so wich is what will be helping the fishing…lets hope it continues ,the good fishing is here..and please pick up your rubbish i have seen shit starting to be left on the beach at bayleys this week and if it continues i will have to start throwing it back through the window of vehicles wether your window is down or not…dont say you went warned..cheers :)

chchlandbased
    Participant

Agreed. I rarely fish Bayleys because I prefer solitude, but litter is getting left at my normal possies too. And don’t get me started on the ethnic litterers. The amount of meat on eles, I reckon 5 fish a season is enough!

jamie
    Participant

yea that was between 5 of us fishing…but to tell the truth I didn’t relize there was a legal limit?? how many?

troutfishernz
    Participant

5 each not that anyone would need to take that many.

shark slayer
    Participant

you should really know the rules before you go fishing they are easily available amd all the legal limits in nz are more than generous..good on you for admiting you didnt know tho and now you do..i just fish bayleys,proper during the,week early season before the hords,of idiots show up chchlandbased..then fish my spot further down.but to be honest all these people say they have special spots down the spit but it gets,hammered just as much as bayleys and is just,as easy to access..i was down there this morning..3 truck loads came,past the last truck was smoking hard and they were thrashing it..that aint going to last long i thought..just after i thought that..boom!the radiator blew they came to a grinding hault and steam was pouring out everywhwee..probably down there unless the other two towed it back…fully cooked it nby the look of it.. :shock:

crabbedoff
    Participant

spent the weekend at baileys took the truck out on the beach had some fun dodging bottles and shit filled a bag with other peoples shit. anyway fishing was slow as with a hard undertow gota couple eles and a rig tho so wasnt to bad got heaps of the smallest cod ever on the pipis and caught a skate by the tail that was hard work.

croozer
    Participant

Went out on Sunday arvo, between Raikia mouth and Ashburton. Thought Id go looking for some less fished water. Wow, cars ,bikes and contikis everywhere. Fished what seemed good conditions for 5-6 hrs, with prawn, pipi and squid bait. Was rewarded with at least 60 plus doggies on all baits. Didn’t get a decent hit all arvo. Disappointed, but long ways to go this season.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members