2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 410 total)
  • Author
    chchlandbased
    Participant

Wouldn’t go south Milet, southerly change, Amberley maybe ok

Participant

Hey stuart to be honest theres no real secret to surf fishing for salmon all really comes down to using correct ticer weight and the speed you retrieve it..for more info just google kaikoura salmon.. yes sw is a good wind for whale watch beach,but if you have no luck there then follow beach road through kaikoura heading north and just on the outskirts of town you will see the road branchs off and changes to hapuku road follow that road down a couple of k and you will see beach access just across the railway line (sawdust pit) its a great beach for surf casting and spinning off and the bonus is its not far from kaikoura. Good luck

yellowfin
    Participant

jeees i gotta get off my arse n give kkora a go for these salmon….yet too catch one!!….ss perhaps you could learn me????

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi All,

been doing a bit of surfcasting this year so thought i would join up and see what others are up to.

Did catch a salmon in kk a few weeks ago which was exciting as it was on my sons small rod.

went over to birdlings last weekend and caught a small cod.

with the reports of KK will have to look at going up there this weeknd and see whats happening.

shark slayer
    Participant

heading up this weekend ollie..one last sesion before i get serious about surfcasting..hopefuly i will get the 10lber that has eluded me so far..mate got one last weekend after i gave him my spot and ticer the bastard haha..if your keen mate let me know..as long as you take the vow of secrecy and keep it to yourself..

yellowfin
    Participant

was in kaikoura last weekend a mate pulled 4 salmon out and him and I got well opver 100 kahawai in a few hours, he also managed two carrots and a few cod, otherwise it was skate galore

HookLineSinker
    Participant

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

im off to KK tommorow for a go off the beaches, so any pointers would be welcome.
    going to try the prawns and muscles and might take some squid as well. going to be trying different ticers as well. so will see what happens

yellowfin
    Participant

most were on lure, only lobbing them about 20m and they got smashed as soon as you started to wind, we pretty much got a kahawai every cast land one release it cast and hook up straight away, every cast there were loads of fish chasing the lure and boiling on the water, never seen anything like it befire, well to that extreme at least

yellowfin
    Participant

will be in kaikoura tomorrow myself actually

shark slayer
    Participant

i used to live up kaikoura way for ten years of my childhood,my first shore based fishing experiences were chasing the kahawai schools..back then the kahawai schools were like this years run time 5.the water would be black from the shore to 200 meters out and the schools would be half a k wide..then purse seiners came along and wiped them out..since the ban they have come back and this years run is the best for a long time..its really good to see.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

shark slayer

yellowfin
    Participant

Not much to report from the outing. Caught 1 small perch. Got busted off after a good smash but went straight through the line as well so no joy. 1 chap down the beach had some goodsize kahawai. Bit more practice required

shark slayer
    Participant

kaikoura was pretty rough today..got heaps of kahawai south of the kowai..they are a cool fish hls its a shame so manz people are ignorant to there qualities..went to my salmon spot..hooked one after 6 casts got it right in close in a big wave then it sucked out and i tried to walk towards it trying to minimise the tension but the hook pulled..it was about 6lb was pretty gutted but thats fishing! gave up after that..to rough.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Hoping to head down there mid day, fish the incoming and over high. I think should have calmed a bit from yesterday.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 410 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.