2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 410 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks Milwolf,

Ill have to go and catch some crabs before I head out again, I guess I will need to get some bait elastic too to keep the crab on.

I felt that the beach looked ideal for Rig and I guess I just need to persevere!

Thanks for the advice, Ill post some pictures if Im lucky enough to get onto one.
    Bring on the next trip on Saturday!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeap, bait elastic helps a lot. Using crabs you should be catching them in no time.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Cooked prawns work pretty good too if you cant get Crabs.
    Unhygenix if you have no luck at Browns beach,try beach road off Seadown road Ive heard of a few being caught there over the last few weeks.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went out to Beach Road today, missed the change of light because I am enjoying the last of school holidays.
    Two of us went out, sea looked pretty good, not overly rough but still a little colored as you could imagine after all of the rain we have been having.

Baited up with prawns first, these kept getting nailed by crabs very fast, I even managed to hook a paddle crab so i cut it in half, removed the shell and put bait elastic around it hoping for a rig. Unfortunately crabs decided that their old friend was pretty tasty and that got nailed pretty fast too.

Switched to fresh squid and we caught three small sharks in quick succession.
    I’ll have to remember my camera next time and play guess the species so I can start to identify them correctly.

Another guy came out, he was casting a good 20m further but wasnt having much more luck than us.

I figured if someone else was out there we must be doing something right :grin:

A little while later a small pod of 7 dolphins turned up and the fishing dried up.
    Beautiful creatures though!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Dunno about that, most people I see out surfcasting seem to have little idea.

I leave the shell on the crabs, makes them a bit more durable and should take longer for other crabs to steal them.

fishforpot
    Participant

If the crabs are feeding that hard then that’s a fair indication the rig are not about .

I prefer to remove the shell and the legs …ele’s love a crab bait presented like that …it’s probably better than paua or tuatua except the pesky rig like to nab the crab baits as well …

Sevengillz
    Participant

For Rig I prefer whole juvenile crabs with shell on and legs on so they can be wrapped up the shank or trace to stop the crab slipping down over the barb . If I get stuck with massive crabs ill take shell off and legs off one side then fold in half and bind em on . The big crabs are hard to present naturally but if you can get a juicy crab bait on without it falling apart then its going to work anyway.
    I have been having just as much luck with whole raw Australian Banana Prawn and have had a day or two when mussel baits have been the saviour. I dumped the Vietnamese prawns I had the seem to be good for f*ckall .

Duckman
    Participant

Went up to Kaikoura Friday afternoon, 2 skate then started to rain so went to Conway was still raining so slept then Saturday got up and fished early morning with 1 Ele caught, and a Skate later on before
    the hail hit
    :grin:

shark slayer
    Participant

for rig,crab..shell off,one side of legs on,wrap legs to trace,wrap the meat..nuff said.got out last night..10 rig between me and a mate,smallest 12lb biggest 30.rusty tho we dropped about 8.shal get my internet sorted so i can post photos,we also hooked up simultaneously on 20lb plus fish..hotaction :grin:

HookLineSinker
    Participant

shark slayer

Duckman
    Participant

HookLineSinker .. Any idea of locality ie cloudy or Clifford bay? have heard of some being caught up your way around gum tree corner out rarangi way

shark slayer
    Participant

if i understand your question correctly do you mean where did i catch them?on banks peninsula…cant say exactly where but one good tip for big nights on the rig is to target them in shallow confined bays..they prefer them to the surf and you are casting into concentrated schools..most times i go out from late october on the hits take less than 10 minutes of waiting..incoming tide is favoured for fast action,still get em on the outgoing but it slows down.

yellowfin
    Participant

Cloudy bay still fishing a bit patchy ive still had a few good rig out of there.I usually take the shell off crab bait
    and bind the snot off the meaty end.The shell is sharp and will cut the bait elastic if wound on tight.Each to his own i guess
    but that method resulted in over 70 rig last season so i will stick with it.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Cliffords been much the same , touch and go . The Rig are either there with everything else or its dead as a door nail. Been very quiet down there during daylight hours for the last fortnight. Pup Tope seem to be out-numbering the spikys now.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

shark slayer

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 410 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.