2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Posted By troutfishernz On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 409 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  troutfishernz 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 410 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Allan the work ups you saw have been regular in kaikoura this summer I saw a school a week or so ago that filled the whole bay from the rocks at one end to well past the heli pad at kaikoura from the waves to over 100m out also yesterday morning the whole of South Bay between the rocks was just kahawai and kingfish every where

yellowfin
    Participant

That is great to hear. I remember past years camping at Goose Bay. There were work-ups going on all day, every day! Usually they were kahawai and barracouta! Watched orca tossing a seal up in the air like a ping pong ball. Makos jumping and heaps of other stuff.

odinboy
    Participant

Hi Had seven days days in Kaikoura, tried fishing for Kahawai for 1st time, 1st time hooked 3 landerd 2 put them back ( put all back except one which we smoked and made into fish pie ) 2nd trip Hooked 4 landerd 3 plus 2 Barracouta, went out following morning with my wife we landerd between 11 and 15, useing trout rods with 8 ib braid, we didnt keep any as we where coming home next day.
    I had heard hoe much fun they are to catch on light gear it was a blast.
    Does anyone have any info on Kahawai fishing around CH CH and Kaikoura, also best ways to cook them.
    Thanks OdinBoy

fishforpot
    Participant

Waimac mouth …

Dice the white meat to 1/4inch cubes.
    Grate 3 medium size spuds .
    Finely chop an onion
    A little salt and pepper
    A tiny bit of mixed herbs

Make a whitebait patty mix – 5 eggs , flour – baking powder and a little milk .

Mix it all together , and spoon patties into an electric frypan with 2 pottles of dripping on high .
    Flip the patties a few times until light brown on both sides ……remove to handy towels to press out the excess fat .

Salt , tomatoe sauce …….and enjoy

Duckman
    Participant

i find cutting into bite size pieces, make a beer batter but use coke instead of beer add garlic salt, coat pieces in flour then batter, deep fry, when all cooked put in a fry pan sweet & sour simmer sauce or honey mustard simmer sauce then add battered fish bites, simmer until hot stirring at same time then dish up, bloody nice

shark slayer
    Participant

kahawai is one of my favourites…alot of people dont like the dark meat but i love it..very strong flavour tho…i like it raw aswell..cut it up into small peices..place in a bowl and add lemon juice,white vinegar,lime,brown sugar,cajun seasoning,salt pepper and then whatever veges you want..cucumber,capsicum,,onion etc..let it marinade for at least half a day and man it is good…you can also add a can of coconut cream if you want..went out last night for a crab collecting mission..chucked a bait out while i was waiting and got a rig around 15lb after ten minutes wixh i released..went for a moki this eve off the rocks..hooked a horse of a moki after about 5 minutes..it was pulling line with the drag almost locked like it was childs play..was just about to take me in to the reef when i locked up…i felt that awful feeling of something letting go and there was a splash on the surface wich gave me a glimpse of the moki with my broken trace in its mouth before it took off….wont be using 30lb trace again…it was a big dog to would have been over the magical 10lb mark..something i havnt acheived yet.. :grin: oh well

yellowfin
    Participant

[b:3ueldgmn]Kahawai Steaks[/b:3ueldgmn]

Here is a good quick way of dealing with kahawai. I often turn them into steaks. Start off by scaling the whole fish. Then cut straight across the body cutting steaks about 25mm thick. Then freeze on a wire tray covered with a plastic supermarket bag. A few hours later after they are frozen take out of the freezer and dip each steak in cold water, then freeze again. Do this several times so that a thick layer of ice encases the steaks. This prevents freezer burn. Finally you can tip all the steaks into a bag so they are free-flow packed.

shark slayer
    Participant

do yoi find they still taste fresh this way allan?i have given up freezing kahawai because it develops an awful flavour but i was just freezing the fillets in bags.

yellowfin
    Participant

I guess it depends a bit on how you cook it. After freezing it will never be quite as good as it is when cooked fresh. However, if thawed and then well cooked in a pan it is excellent for salads or sandwiches after it cools. I break off the dark meat and dis-guard it. It is this dark meat that has the strong flavor.

Duckman
    Participant

Went for a fish with a m8 up the coast, first spot was rough as and heaps of weed so packed up and went further up, sea was a bit calmer with no weed so had a cast and 1 doggie, then after a while got a small ele, so on 3rd for the season, m8 ended up getting 2 doggies.

shark slayer
    Participant

Please tell me you put that back?nice pose tho..reckon it might make the cover of nz fishing news…monster!! :grin:

Duckman
    Participant

It actually came in dead, tail bitten off so kept it this time, usually do pull small ones back

yellowfin
    Participant

shark slayer

shark slayer
    Participant

Alot of small fish like that seem dead when they come in but they are not..small dogs often stay lifeless but when you put em back in they are fine and swim away..small fish like that should be released quickly still in a bit of water..i wont take an ele under 5lb let alone under one..sure as hell wouldnt be posing with it thats just plain embarrassing haha…they really need to put a size limit on eles rig and schoolies..the fact that there isnt is just plain craziness…oh well two peices of ele popcorn for dinner tonight donald… :lol:

Duckman
    Participant

actully 4 honey mustard fish pies, but yeah get your point, there should be a size limit on them all

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 410 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members