2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 410 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

How far up the coast did you get SS, I kept on finding pesty people fishing the spots I wanted to as I headed north from Kaikoura. Was that you fishing just north of Waipapa bay (Saturday, midday)?

Perfect weather here today, but took the day off from fishing to try and recover from a neck ache which has been bothering me for the last few weeks. Otherwise would have spent the day trolling… all the trolling I been doing probably caused it.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished bayleys Saturday night with two mates, from 6pm till dark, used raw prawns, crab and tuatua and got nothing, not even a bite. wtf? i often think im cursed….

yellowfin
    Participant

My weekend catch was pretty shit really , 3 rig 2 congers a few kahawai and a gurnard,
    Has been a decent season so far on greys and rig have not put much time in locally really, have got a couple decent greys in past month one being 54lb the other was not weighed but seemed to be larger than that

shark slayer
    Participant

na wasnt me mili..i was all over the place..scouting moki spots..my season started great but has beem terrible the last month or so mainly due to lack of effort i guess..went out tonight..my mate got two eles 7 and 8.5lb not even a touch for me.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I often find that the amount of effort is often what determines a successful season from a average one.

chchlandbased
    Participant

If it’s only about the catching, then it isn’t really fishing…. Sometimes you blank, I don’t mind. Next trip and the fish are everywhere.

shark slayer
    Participant

i dont mind blanking thats part of the game but the aim of the game is to catch..i normaly back myself to do well 95% of the time but this season has been shocking partly due to effort and partly due to bad luck..numerous times this year i have been right next to my mate and he has done well and i have blanked..same baits aswel bit it makes for a good laugh and it has been reversed a few times..but like mili said effort makes the difference between a good and bad season..after this shit weather has gone i am going to get my ass into gear and step things up a bit..

yellowfin
    Participant

95% is a good rate to aim for think in sitting about that this season, left with a fed all but one time I think twice it was not by choice just the fact the fish was too stuffed to get back so instead of leaving it on the beach I took them home , my mates love this time of year as thy always get hooked up with a feed of fish here n there

Miliwolf
    Participant

I been quite lucky this year and only had three badly hooked fish which I had to keep, two were Pannies and one was a trout. I almost never get Rig badly hooked, nearly always nicely in the jaw. I put that down to my choice of hook, but I suppose Rig might chew their food before swallowing. The occasional small school shark or dogfish also get gill hooked so I normally turn them into crab bait.

With regards to Snapper I think I blanked three out of the five trips I done (unless I catch a Snapper or something equally exciting I consider it a blank) . With only one fish over 10lb being caught. The fact that I only done 5 trips is a bit disappointing Been spending to much time trolling.

oompalompa
    Participant

shark slayer

shark slayer
    Participant

haha..pillies,bonito,cuda,mullet any oily fish ..gulp 4 and 5″ peeler crabs are also worth a shot but you want to get a bottle of scented oil and add some of that on them to keep the scent going.

yellowfin
    Participant

Come fishing s.s

chchlandbased
    Participant

Took a break from the surf and went rock fishing out the Peninsula on the low tide today. Caught 12 school size Mokes and 3 over 50cm.

shark slayer
    Participant

hot action there chch landbased..any pics mate?need to start targeting the moki myself..yea we need to go fishing rigslasher forecast is pretty average tho how long do the eles hang down your way?bayleys is over for me..

yellowfin
    Participant

Whats a moki lol must be a r ock fish lol all we have is bare ass beaches
    Alice aka ss in rig slasher land

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 410 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.