2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 410 total)
  • Author
    shark slayer
    Participant

i find no need to use a keeper hook..the only bait that requires one is crab without the legs wich i never use..i never use small hooks either ..6-7/0 have the hook exposed as much as possible and they hook up before they get a chance to think anout spitting the bait..wich they rarely do anyway generaly if you drop a fish its because the hook didnt set properly..using one good size hook also avoids gut hooking and makes releasing a fish easy..using small hooks you lip hook the eles lor if your lucky it will hook in the mouth plate wich is like rock..there aint any releasing when that happens..anyway was gonna stop off at conway mili but got there to late..decised to head up the coast one more time before the road starts getting plagued with xmas/holliday period idiots rigslasher..may head your way next weekend..got cell reception here so will keep a live report going:-)

shark slayer
    Participant

have arrived at spot s..conditions are average..a wee bit dirtier than i was hoping for but rods in the water at 5.45am let the war begin!

shark slayer
    Participant

morning sesh was shit..the eles didnt acome on just a bunch of small tope and a fat red cod so far..o well hopefully the rest of the day is better..its all about relaxing this weekend..heiniken!

Miliwolf
    Participant

24 hour or so of fairly consistent fishing.

Arrived at Conway sometime after 6pm, conditions were decent but the swell could of been a touch smaller because it really rolls in there. Caught a small Rig almost immediately, which was followed by a doggy, two School sharks, more rigs and a fat Red Cod. Just on dark a southerly front hit, the wind picked up and sea roughen slightly. No more fish were caught that night. So I decided to pack up on return to my sleeping spot near Kaikoura.

Woke up to a overcast day with light drizzle, sea was a bit confused still so decided to surf fish Goose Bay. A spot I have wanted to try for a long time. Was quite impressied. I was expecting a lot of snags but only lost one set of gear. Landed a medium-large Rig, a borderline Moki and a Wrasse. Late morning I packed up and went for a short Kayak fish but was feeling seasick so headed back in, but the fish were certainly feeding.

After lunch I decided to head north, and fish high tide. The place I was hoping to fish was occupied, and the access to the next couple of spots were blocked. Then another spot was occupied, tried a new spot but the water had a lot of kelp floating around so decided to push on to Blue Slip. From Clarence north the weather changed quite dramatically, from dull and overcast to hot and sunny. I was baking on the beach, and the Rig were in a feeding mood with 4-5 small ones being landed over high tide (I missed the first half of high tide). I also landed another Wrasse and what I assume was a specie of Puffer fish. A first for me, or maybe I caught one from the boat years ago but still claiming a new species.

All the Rig , Moki, Wrasse and Puffer fish was caught on raw prawn, the fishing could of been insane if I was using paddle crab. The less desirable fish was manly caught on squid, or squid/prawn sandwich.

So in summary, Surfcasting this weekend I caught
    9 Rig, 2 Schoolies, 2 Wrasse, 1 Doggy, 1 Red Cod, 1 Moki and the ‘puffer fish’

This is what I assuming is a type of Puffer fish.

“>

chchlandbased
    Participant

Yeah have caught them in the past, poisonous little bugger, try to avoid handling!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, I pushed both hands beneath him and carried him upon a layer of gravel then placed him in about a foot of water. Swan away quite happily. Managed to remove the hook without touching him to.

Anonymous
    Inactive

when we were kids we used to roll them in our hands till they puffed up then put them back in the water

Miliwolf
    Participant

The ones we get in NZ, or at least the one I caught are probably only dangerous if you eat them. I believe some of the tropical species with spikes might be more dangerous to handle.

I am still quite paranoid about these things so avoid touching them. The same applies with me handling octopus because I read about Blue-ringed octopus when I was young.

croozer
    Participant

Yeah , congrats on your first toad! That’s what that is and that’s what the Japs turn into that dish they have. They are poisonous to eat, but the Japs have a technique for cooking them that “usually” renders them harmless. Even so, several people a year die from eating them there. As an aside, this is also the same fish that large pelagic predators often gorge themselves on, then exhibit “drunken” behaviour. The toxin in them , whilst deadly to us when consumed, acts as a narcotic for the large fish. It is a well documented occurance. Sounds like you had a reasonable trip, well done.

Miliwolf
    Participant

One of the best aspect about the trip was that I successfully fished two spots which I have often wondered about but never gotten around to try. Often when I fish new spots I lose a lot of gear to snags.

Duckman
    Participant

Went to a spot up the coast for the weekend, caught a 60.1cm @ 7.8lb Moki, 2 Gurnard, aSchoolie of reasonable size and a few Kahawai, was a good weekend but slow :grin:

oompalompa
    Participant

Beautiful gurand. They have such amazing coulours. What sort of bait do they normally take

fishforpot
    Participant

Fished a few km’s north of Duckman today …
    First cast saw a cray on the beach ..
    A few kahawai , 5 mullet , 2 skate , 2 crabs , 2 gurnard and 7 schoolies …
    Around 3.30 the schoolies came on the bite and were a real pain , taking bare hooks ..

shark slayer
    Participant

haha a spot up the coast..not exactly top secret when you put it on facebook..everyone go to napenape..ended up spending my weekend scouting out new spots due to seaweed induced difficulties and general laziness..plus it was way to fuckin hot to continue sitting on the beach..stopped off at kaikoura on the way home but didnt bother fishing..there was a trawler working 500 meters off the beach on the clean water line north side of kaikoura town..i assume they were doing there best to sweep up your gurnard ffp!

yellowfin
    Participant

Saw you parked up there ffp

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 410 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.