2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Posted By troutfishernz On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 409 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  troutfishernz 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 410 total)
  • Author

shark slayer
    Participant

nice photo mili..went to kaikoura for the weekend,mainly to test my new salmon outfit(7.8ft t curve tk3g and a sustain 5000 :grin: )..heaps of kahawai,a few cuda and a nice 8lb searun from the kowai wich was a surprise thought it was a salmon until i landed it and had a closer look..gave a good scrap..love my new setup the new t curve range is amazing!fished the beach for an hour and got a 25lb tope wich was released..a nice relaxing weekend.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah could of been me, not entirely sure where that Overpass is but did have my yellow kayak on board, never had much luck fishing around Wharanui myself, caught a few crays, and lost quite a few sinkers but thats about it.

shark slayer

Sevengillz
    Participant

Heading north from Seddon , utuwai is the last bridge before the 45km corner where ya climb the Weld pass from the south side. Yeah I dont go down wharanui beach rd , actually turn off just after the Waima . I go south of cape campbell when the nor-west is gusting and Wharanui area is the stop when I cant be bothered going any further.

Participant

Once again sweet pic mili and some great fish being caught guys… G-Loomis are great rods can not fault them at all though shimano fishing bought out G-Loomis rods last year so would suspect the new shimano rods would have a bit of the G-Loomis technology incorporated in them today…

burkefish
    Participant

I have a g-loomis pro-green heavy 7’4” fast action 10-17lb and use a sustain 5000 with it, I found 1 problem with it, it was tip heavy which is not that good when salmon fishing several hours at a time. found in America these rods come with a choice of 11 butt lengths. I had 100mm added to the butt and it is now perfectly balanced and great to use I have found I don’t need as much effect to get distance and is not tiring when doing a solid days fishing. the reel is good after 1 little hiccup when it was returned for fixing after 3 days use, had a part assembled the wrong way round.

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

The Sustains are beautiful reels. I bought the 10000 for topwater kings and have put it on one of the new t curve ocea popper rods. Such a light combo and I can’t wait to load it up.

Oh yeah – love the photo mili. Sorry got sidetracked by tackle talk !

Miliwolf
    Participant

When I looked a few years back we mostly only get the low end G-Loomis spin rods in New Zealand but they charge a premium for them (like more then the top end Shimano’s and kilwells ect). They also have so many different variations its was easy to lose track.

Tackletour.com is a great place to get information on Loomis and other American rods… at least it was a few years back when I frequented the forums.

burkefish
    Participant

the pro-green loomis I have is apparently designed for catching bonefish which means quick long distance casting and the action seems to bare this out. g-Loomis have so many variations of each type when you look them up on American sites we seem only to get what nz importers think will sell well here, sometimes I think they get it wrong. up until I bought this rod I have used Fenwick hmg spin rods since 1996, have 2 of them but you can’t get them here now.

shark slayer
    Participant

i use 10lb braid on the sustain,the t curve is very lite and easy to use all day long,requires minimal effort to cast maximum distance and of course k guides wich give the rod a way better feel than standard guides imo..the rating is 40g max but it casts 55 weight forwards easily..highly reccomend it to anyone looking for a new salmon rod..tho
    e new ocea rods are nice aswel,plenty of grunt for kingis..i got the new demon blood before the oceas came out otherwise would have got the liter ocea..

Miliwolf
    Participant

Can you give me the rods specs again Shark Slayer, were not able to track it done with the info you gave.

yellowfin
    Participant

Rich dudes :P with ya g loomis lol
    Gimme a warehouse abu and a silstar from the 90s with rusted up drag and old hack 50lb line lol

Miliwolf
    Participant

Don’t think I ever paid more then $400 on a Rod, most expensive was probably my sage fly rods which I think were $325. I own a couple of rods which have a RRP over $400 but got them used or with a very good discount.

The rods I use to catch my big Snapper on are all under $130 :)

shark slayer
    Participant

i am stupid with fishing gear my two kilwel surf rods were 600 and 700 the demon blood was 500 salmon rod was 420 haha its nice to have good reliable gear..after using kilwel surf rods any other rod i pick up feels like a 14ft turd..all my other rods jre around the 200 mark..shimano is good like that you can get really good rods for 150-200 bux were as alot of other companys are shithouse until you spend max dollars..daiwas entry to medium level gear is crap..that rod mili is a shimano t curve tk3g they call it a 782 spin its 7ft8 and i think its 6-8 kg or could be 6-10 i will check its purple or technicly lylic haha i thinj it looks good tho and its just so nice.just checked they call it a long cast spin..2.34m 2 peice.6-10kg.

fishforpot
    Participant

How many posts do I have to go back thru to find news of a summer catch ? …..

You all too busy playing with ya rods to get out and catch fish ?? …. soon as the weather stops playing tennis I will venture out again

yellowfin
    Participant

What are u doing this w.e SS

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 410 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members