2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Posted By troutfishernz On With 0 Comments
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 410 total)
  • Author
    shark slayer
    Participant

beameer has nailed a few aswel crabedoff..there are eles all up the east coast hls,in the sounds aswell..go figure them out mate

Sevengillz
    Participant

HookLineSinker

beameer
    Participant

Fished down spit from taumutu lake finally closed had the best days fishing for years called it quits at 18 elle’s and 2 rig what a evening’s fish.fished 2 hrs before high till half out ,they were exclusively on squid no by catch crabs or lice reports fish all along beach Hipp be worth a look at cooper’s I reckon
    Will post a couple of pics later :grin:

beameer
    Participant

:grin: :grin:

shark slayer
    Participant

nice catch man well done..the eles are all up that coast sevengills..just put the time in at likely looking spots at the right times of the day and then keep the spot quite once you find it haha..havelock area has some nice looking spots..

Sevengillz
    Participant

mate ya should copy them pics to catch gallery too fella , or I can if ya want . Be interesting to see what we can get in there this season 8) cheers

oompalompa
    Participant

Nice work. Do you think they are likely to be amberly way?

shark slayer
    Participant

yea oopaloompa have had a report of eles at ambo..always are there at this time of year..i would fish the pines myself..wichever one you choose make sure you fish it in the dark..cheers

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Ok so what would be your guys pick of baits for targeting ele’s, and more importantly are they being caught casting to the horizon or in very close ie very short casts? Is there anything special that you guys do to target them or is it pretty much if they are there they will take a bait? Am trying to work out some options for targeting them here in Marlborough.

chchlandbased
    Participant

I reckon if they’re around, you’ll catch em HLS. Same techniques used for rig work well: crabs, prawns, squid, tuatua all work. Went out Thursday afternoon/evening to Bayleys, eles were practically jumping on the hook. Caught twelve big females, all released except one tail wrapped. Guy next to me also caught a few. Went out last night, same place, same time, and blanked. Mind you only had a couple of hours last night. As for distance I don’t think it matters too much: on the steep shingle beaches I normally cast as far as I can, but I’m just a gentle flicker, none of this running up style that some of them do, using 30lb braid on a 13ftr. If night fishing the shallow sandy beaches north of chch small casts into the gutters/channels at night on a low tide works well. Hve been told a rather expensive black creature works primo, but fk that I say!

yellowfin
    Participant

yea theyl take almost anything and i try fishing a low tide after dark , but if there around youl catchem on anything coz ur literally casting into a spawning mass of hungry fish :).
    Many eles been taken at browns beach Temuka and South rangitata .
    il stop @ 20 for the season as i have alot of people to gift my catch to
    Tonight should be good its already 20plus outside and the beach was clear and clean yesterday.

beameer
    Participant

went out with friend up the spit for afternoon evening fish conditions great not as many as the day before but we still managed a few he got 4 the first for the season :grin: i got a couple will head out later for another look

yellowfin
    Participant

ele’s have arrived!……trawlers must have moved on?

fishforpot
    Participant

Fished down the spit hard from 6am-1pm and managed 1 ele … it was freshly scarred from mating , so it’s quite likely they were out there but busy .
    I also foul hooked a fresh egg casing …a first for me …

We got a few bites during the day , likely kahawai as schools passed us by …caught one

yellowfin
    Participant

i fished baileys from 2 till4 got 2 small greys and a crab. beach is in a disgusting state, rubbish, dead crabs (x bait) beer bottles , line and hooks!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 410 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members