2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 410 total)
  • Author
    elmo22
    Participant

went down to spencer park and down to the mack mouth, fished for ky for aprrox 20 mins and got nothing pick up my whitebait gear and went home, 3 guys were putting out a torpedeo as I went past, unloaded the whitebait net etc and went back down to get the res,t just as I was going back down these 3 guys pulled in the torpedeo and they got 3 big rig and 3 small rig.. just 200mts down from them other lot of people were just putting one out also,…,on way back the 1st 3 guys were setting again. going to be hard to catch some fish of the beach with rods.

fishforpot
    Participant

Youd be suprised at the numbers of fish taken over the years off the beach there ….been several guys regularly setting nets , with one taking way more than allowed ….. this ended with the net ban , but has obviously been replaced with these damn torpedos

The fishery can handle a little abuse like that , it’s the commercial raping during breeding that will kill it

Miliwolf
    Participant

Public pressure got long line banned in the sounds, maybe something similar could be achieved off the Canterbury beaches.

Anyway, went for a Snapper fish tonight. Arrived at my first spot around 7:30 but there was a decent chop which would have made straylining difficult so packed up and drove over the hill to the other Sound. Was nice and calm, quite the contrast. Was hoping to fish the small wharf at the grove but it was already occupied so tried a new spot a bit further a long the coast. Climbed down to the nice little beach and casted out a couple of rods. The sand flies were biting me almost immediately, and the first Snapper was caught not long after. That was joined by a second, both plump Pannies. Night descended, the fishing slowed, and sea lice started stealing my bait so I headed for home around 10pm.

yellowfin
    Participant

the point i’ve been making over the last few posts is simply the fact that the comms are not breaking any law by doing what their doing…no amount of dissing and claims of “illegal” fishing on this forum will change that. i know the way they operate don’t look good coming in very close at night (perhaps the fish do too?) heading out to sea when they see us on the beach( saving you from losing your gear?)……but it is legal.

personally i totally agree that trawling is the lowest of the low when it comes to methods employed its just so destructive! long lining would be a much better alternative, though in not sure we’d all be over the moon, to see lines set from timaru to birdlings??

in reality, the only way we’ll ever see a change in these methods is through politics and regulation changes.

here are my suggestions on how to make that happen…..

when you see that boat working in close ,video,photo,take details

phone m/fish (you all have the number ,right?) at least the comms will know they’re being watched!

post your pics and video in as many public forums as you can, not just fishing sites, get it out there in the public (face book , the press, youtube)….public awareness and pressure can often does win the battle.!!!

write to or visit you MP armed with the pics and video.

join LEGASEA now! they are our strongest politically active advocates, make a monthly donation (it don’t need to be huge) and start sending them the pics and video…ask for their support.

bottom trawling won’t be banned tomorrow (especially with national at the helm), but there’s a fair chance it will be one day,if pressure is pointed in the right direction.

yellowfin
    Participant

oh by the way,check out their website and join up!!

http://www.legasea.co.nz/

yellowfin
    Participant

Kontikis been raping the beach at whites road temuka again i saw 3 sets of 4wd marks right down to the tide mark and around 30 male and female ele heads littering the beach.
    Dig a hole guys! Takem home throw them to the sharks…
    Do somthing with them dont just leave them on the beach…
    Losers

fishforpot
    Participant

Had a report last night from Bayleys Sunday morning ..

A local fishing club had a mini comp there with seven fisherman ….not a bite ! ….

Maybe the trawler had something to do with that lol

HIPP
    Participant

Hey all, back to that time of year again, trying to get a few feeds for the freezer,:)

Been down to Coopers lagoon a couple of times over this month with two small rig caught on prwans, no sign on the beach of much activity otherwise.

But on the good news front, just back from the West Coast and pleased to say i landed my biggest ever snapper!!!! of 12lb on the first cast from the beach….boom:)!….this I thought would be the fish of the trip, with friends in toe and a small trophy for the best fish of the weekend, this would be hard to beat…..I was swiftly informed that as a couple had not yet arrived it wouldnt count lol, well, no matter, “iVe got the best fish for the weekend”…..well wasnt I a knobend haha, one of my cobbers had his son and a mate there, this 15 year old who hadnt done much fishing before…went and landed a nice 18Lb Snapper which propntly put me in my place haha…as it was , his was the best fish for the weekend, well done to him.

We also caught an aray of Kahawai, one grey boy a mullet and a couple of rig, most of which were returned, but we ate one of the rig and took home 3 Kahawai between us.
    Our first day there was the last day of whitebaiting….we did see one, but we didnt catch him!

I see in the visitor book that Mr Birdlings had visited in 2008…so I knew we were onto a good thing:), Hope alls well with you Ian.

Snapper caught on Pillies and the Rest on Prawn and Squid.

A great wekend had by all and, yes Im going back, great to catch a nice eating fish for a change.

Heading over your way S/S day after boxing day like last year, hope to catch up with you for a yarn and a fish maybe?? good to see you are doing well with your fishing as usual

Well, back to work for me, hope to get out again soon and chase the ever elusive Elephant.

Cheers, Be Lucky, Hipp

elmo22
    Participant

whet part of the coast were you at hipp

shark slayer
    Participant

the point i was making ffp was dave had stated catching eles etc at conway but yet hadnt reported any catches or contributed to the forum at all until comments about trawler activity were made and th.en he came on defending it with a posts full of misleading information..its a bit dodgy a commercial fishermankeeping tabs on a rec forum and only coming on to defend trawling when people are complaining it is ruining there fishing..anyway who cares bak to topic..me and a mate went out sat,sun night..a few rig around the 17 lb mark between us and my mate got two eles while i dropped 2..ihis first season on the eles and the bastard is beating me haha..think i will stop teaching him good job on the snaps imili and hipp and yea mate we shal catch up for a fishm and a yarn..cheers..going to go back to m x old ele rig..have lost 3 so far on the new hooks when they hit..havnt even had one dyet and its alost december..is getting embarrasing..good job on the snaps

HIPP
    Participant

elmo22

elmo22
    Participant

great place up there I go there quite abit and also do the mokiniu fishing comp every year ( former winner, show off lol)

yellowfin
    Participant

had a nose out of port levy today…caught nothing much at all…….must have been those commie trawlers ;)

shark slayer
    Participant

went for an ele mish saturday night..fished for 5 hours and blanked..had a bit of interest after an hour but it didnt take..went out again last night,after an hour or so got some nudging around happening and then the line went slack..quickly wound up the slack but no one home..an hour later my mate got a nice 10lber and we called it quits..i just cant get one at the moment its hillarious..i always get the first hit then my mate wilj get a better hit after and land it haha BASTARD..o well hopefully tonight.

yellowfin
    Participant

now thaaats fishing s.s :P

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 410 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.