2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 410 total)
  • Author
    fishforpot
    Participant

Awesome effort on the carrots duckman ….sawdust pits I assume ?

Was the gate open both days ? …. was there many kahawai about and were any salmon taken ?

tahrboy
    Participant

hi guys ,
    this is a reply to gollyfish re the trawler at birdlings flat.
    the two mile rule apllies to certain types of nets used by fishing boats.
    ie set nets are not allowed inside a certain mile limit as are Danish seiners, trawlers with trawl nets that have a head line height of more than 1.0 metre also.
    the exceptions that I know of are trawlers with trawl nets that have a headline height of less than one metre, and vessels dredging for surf clams.
    the trawlers that do work there have a right to be there to catch their allocated quota of fish(flat fish mainly, sole and brill for the large part) that turn up their in the summer months.
    they are not doing the dirty as implied, they have the appropriate trawl nets that are designed to catch flat fish with a headline height of not more than 1.0 mtr that allows them to be in close where the fish are.
    in case you are wondering how this is enforced, there is extensive observer coverage put on the trawlers by m/fish to record and observe the activities of the work on board, these range from recording bird mortalities to fish catches and types of fishing gear used.
    In lyttleton alone the vast majority of all local trawlers have had these observers on board, they are on board for 1 month at a time.
    in dealing with m/fish and trying to get an answer out of them, all I can say is good luck to you.
    I skippered a trawler based in lyttleon for a period of time, this vessel was boarded and inspected 3 times over a period of 4 mths, I asked the fisheries inspectors that boarded us the same question, I received 3 different answers.
    commercial fisherman work hard for the living that they make, they will receive criticism if it is warranted and like all industries if caught doing something wrong they are punished.
    the fishing industry is one of the most heavily regulated in NZ.
    it is simply not worth the effort of losing their livelihood, boat and anything used in fishing illegally.
    so please if you have a rant about the activities of fishing boats that you see, make sure you know the facts if the are allowed to be there.
    also next time you order a piece of sole from your local chippie it probably came from a boat like that one.
    regards
    Dave Pearce
    Skipper of a fishing boat

Duckman
    Participant

fishforpot

yellowfin
    Participant

Dave Pearce , thank you very much for clearing that up! (it’s about bloody time somebody did!!!)

i apologize for my my earlier (removed) post sounding as negative as it did :oops: , i just find it a little frustrating hearing the same reports of “illegal fishing” from people, yet getting no answers from the guys that really know the facts!…at least my wee rant provoked an answer, and an excellent one at that! :wink:

i’ve had a suspicion that may have been the case,as i stated on page 6 in this thread.(i couldn’t believe commercial boats would risk their livelihood by illegal fishing so publicly) which is why i tried to get some info from m/fish myself a few weeks ago (to no avail,)they are a govt. agency which means they’re underfunded just like all the others.

it would be far more use if this information was better known in the public arena ,it would save a lot of confusion and upset i recon! most websites simply state set netting and trawling are banned, with no mention of exceptions ,which is very misleading!

dave,i’ve put your post on the facebook page….more people use it!

i know some of the commercial guys from lyttleton and i think it’s a shame they get such a hard time, it’s one of the toughest jobs out there! long hours,serious grafting and not to mention dangerous!

thank’s dave.

fishforpot
    Participant

That doesnt wash with me ….when there’s dollars involved corruption wont be far behind ..

Maybe commercial fishers are like the NZ Police , a few good ones but plenty of rotten apples.

tahrboy
    Participant

a reply to fishforpot.
    what I put out there in regards to trawlers activities is the facts that we have to live with in working in the commercial fishing industry.
    some people will not like what I had to say but there it is, for whatever reason there will always be some people that simply refuse to look at things from both sides and form an opinion that in there minds is correct.
    I have no doubt that every industry has a corrupt element and when that element affects what people like to do for recreation people will get upset, I cannot help that, but all I can say is follow the processes and if there is wrong doing they will get prosecuted.
    I am a keen recreational surfcaster myself and have enjoyed good success in recent weeks at Conway/claverley beaches catching rig/skate and elephants so I do know the enjoyment that arises from just being out there.
    if you(fishforpot) need to know more about what goes on in the fishing industry I personally invite you for a coffee to have a yak about what you see as the issues.
    most of the time it is simply a lack of information out in the public arena about what happens within the industry.
    regards
    Dave Pearce
    Skipper of a fishing boat

yellowfin
    Participant

Idjust take the mans word for it fishforpot you might make it to the wharf but ben smart and olivia hope never made it back….
    Commercial berley mincer me thinks :P

tahrboy
    Participant

oops bit of a cockup with the way that last bit was worded re invite for coffee, I can see how it would be taken.
    so I will re write it, to you (fishforpot) can I pm you for a chinwag over a coffee about what you see as the issues, education on both sides is good I think.
    regards
    Dave Pearce

Participant

good write up dave pearce….

well done on your catchs duckman, some nice eating fish you caught there

fishforpot
    Participant

Thanks Dave , but I dont drink coffee ..and I have no doubt there are some honest fishermen out there ..it’s just a shame some dont play by the rules …
    It certainly looks suspect when a trawler is towing along the beach at 3am , then veers out to see the minute the lights come on on the beach .
    Another prime example is the fish dumping that has been in the news lately…..we all know it’s been going on for years .

And dont get me started on Ben and Olivia …that crooked bastard Pope stitched Scott Watson up something shocking ..

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice one ffp ur saying the stuff that got me hiffed from the last forum :P
    Bs oh

yellowfin
    Participant

thanks dave pearce, a point i made in earlier posts…………..

quote”but all I can say is follow the processes and if there is wrong doing they will get prosecuted.”

guys, in any industry there are plenty of good folks and some bad eggs, the fishing industry is no different.as much as i defend our right to catch a feed, i believe the comms have a right too and they have to pay for theirs so i’m not convinced they’d all be running round breaking rules and risking the livelihood they payed for! ……however,if you believe illegal activity is happening. don’t hesitate, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!! take as many details as you possibly can and get on the blower to m/fish (0800476224) …if they bother to act!! then i’m sure the truth, either way, will come out. even if no crime is committed word will soon get out (if it already hasn’t)that people are watching!…..it seems a lot of folks are happy to sit behind a pc pouring fuel on the fire, but essentially doing nothing positive!

yellowfin
    Participant

Does the 1 metre headline nets, catch the normally targeted surfcasting species when trawling for flat fish and beach clams? i.e. rig, elephantfish, schoolshark, moki, kahawai etc
    Does the trawler have licences to take these fish?
    Does the trawler release these fish back to the ocean in a survivable condition?

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Finally managing to get out for a fish and last night caught my first rig for the season about 6.5kgs. And then took my oldest boy (3 and a half years) out fishing today, he kept catching crabs on his line they would hold on till the surface and then let go, but its ok cos daddy caught some in his net!!!

shark slayer
    Participant

you know those days w[code][/code]hen you go down in perfect conditions and catch nothing all day because tqawlers have swept in close that is now called a dave peirce haha.seriously tho thanks for the bullshit pill mate but i wont be swallowing it especially not washed down with coffee yuk!although looks like others have..i wrote a big post assaulting your dribble but fucked it up because i am doing it from my phone and i cant be bothered doing it again..anyway goma start a thread for reporting trawler activity and may take it to the media once enough photos etc are on thereyou wouldnt mind that would you dave being as there is tnothing to find..awhat the fuck are you doing on this forum anyway?checking to see if anyone is noticing your shitty practises

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 410 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.