2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    shark slayer
    Participant

nice rig there zac.where the couple from lyttelton males??hey fisho if you are coming down to fish here go to birdlings flat,you will catch them in lyttelton but birdlings would be more productive at this time of the season.Nice to see the cod are still around and the grey boys have shown up in kaikoura….none down here yet,using fish baits your lucky if you even get a dogfish at the moment….crazy numbers of crabs.Went out yesterday evening/night..got a male rig of 14lb then a small red cod,then a bigger cod wich i lost at the waters edge,packed up after dark because i had no crab baits left and my baits were being stripped almost instantly.the rig was caught on a raw prawn/mussel combo.

my mate still hasn’t showed up with my digital cam so had to take shit pictures with my cellphone..

shark slayer
    Participant

here’s my boat fisho,only got a 15hp suzuki at the moment but im going to put a brand new 30hp suzuki on it sometime soon,still cuts through the water nice with a 15 on the back…

kaikourafisho
    Participant

thats a mint boat slayer would be a great dive boat
    where do you take it out ?? mite have to try raw prawn/mussel as im runing low on
    crayfish to i get some time of work to go for dive or set my pots .

yellowfin
    Participant

Doesn’t matter to much where you go at Amberly or Birdlings Flat just have a bait in the water. Yeah that was me at the sawdust pits the swell did get pretty rough but was fishable, think I fished till about 11 with no hits at all on crab, put some fish bait out and caught a dogfish before I packed up.

Rig in Lyttelton were all females I think. Yeah I had the same thing happen to me at Diamond Harbour last season got smoked and broken off, re-baited and landed a 23lb rig then went quiet for the rest of the night. Has to be one of the worst spots for sea lice though.

Crab works best, if not prawns work.

shark slayer
    Participant

yea fisho,great dive boat and all round inshore fishing boat,super stable and feels real nice in the water.went out last night,got a strike first cast but failed to hook up,an hour later got a 10lb female on a tuatua prawn combo,changed spots after that and fished for another hour the only result being a tiny 6lb male,smallest rig i have ever caught….

once again they are shit phone photos,if my mate dosnt bring back my digital cam soon im just going to by another one….theres nothing worse than catching a good fish and only having a shit photo to show for your efforts.

shark slayer
    Participant

oh and i take my boat out at peraki bay on banks peninsula where i live fisho,took it out for it’s first decent run yesterday,was a real nice day on the water out there,conditions look good im off to try my luck…looks like good ele conditions,hopefully someone lands one this weekend……

troutfishernz
    Participant

I saw a couple of Elephant fish heads on a beach in South Canterbury this morning so they are definitely there. I didn’t have time to fish though :( shame really as the condition’s looked perfect with practically no swell and very clean water.

shark slayer
    Participant

good to hear some sign of elles troutfisher,yep real nice water this weekend,mullet are jumping out of the water as i write this,fingers crossed for a good night!!

shark slayer
    Participant

just caught this on crab haha,what is it??then caught a 6lb female rig,mate took a photo and then deleted it by accident while i was releasing the fish,what a dumbass..oh well hopefuly we get more…

shark slayer
    Participant

oops here it is???

Miliwolf
    Participant

Isn’t it just a type of marine snail.

shark slayer
    Participant

yea just wondering if anyone knew exactly what it was,it took the bait it had swallowed the shank,i have also caught tuatua on hook before…not foul hooked but have taken the bait.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Its a type of whelk, but know no more then that.

Try uploading it to NatureWatchNZ and someone might be able to help. A better quality photo would also help them.

http://naturewatch.org.nz/observations/id_please

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went and fished what is probably my less productive spot.

I was hoping to fish for Moki at Ward, my initial plan was to drive across the flaxbourne river and try around the rocks to the south. I got to the ford but due to the wind, struggled to make out how deep it was. There has been quite a few big floods this winter and I was not keen just to charge across. Due to the nasty wind I decided to fish just in front of the Carpark rather then going further up the beach. Three rods and three mussel baits, the only rod action was from the wind which was very strong at times. After dark the wind died down a lot but the fishing remained poor.

“>
    Surfcasting at Ward by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

yellowfin
    Participant

17lb from Birdlings yesterday about 2.30pm had no hits after that and didn’t stay for a night time fish.

350 grams I think this was from the Pier Friday, didn’t know it was on and the sea lice had got into the gills and eaten it alive, so got a few fillets off it.. smallest rig I’ve ever caught

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.