2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Went fishing last night with St_Paul and Socky, I arrived at the spot around 6pm which is to early for fishing. So I scouted out new spots for a while and had a lot of fun when I climbed down what I thought was a overgrown track. Around 7pm I returned to the top secret snapper spot in the Mahau and the other two were already there fishing. Weather conditions were great, only the lightest of breezes and a tiny chop. At first I did the essential thing which was to get my camera gear sorted out then I to started to feed the spotties.

With the sunsetting expectations were high, but they were not to be.

“>
    Paul jinxing the fish by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

Even the turn of the tide did not bring any improvement to the fishing. The only action all night was a mackerel which kept playing with Pauls bait. At 11 we called it quits.

“>
    twilight tranquility by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

I also showed off my ability to manipulate light and hence revealing my true form of a fire demon.
    “>
    A blaze by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

shark slayer
    Participant

went out last night for an hour after dark.first cast and the bait was taken after 10 mins,i was to slow to notice i had a strike and lost the fish.20 mins later and another strike,sunk the hook on this one and after a nice battle a very energetic 20lb female was on the beach,Quick photo and let her go,stopped fishing because she destroyed my 60lb trace,think i will go back to using 100lb.
    sorry about the crap photo i only had my cellphone.
    i was thinking about going out tonight but we have snow on the hills and it’s brutal cold.where is spring???….

Miliwolf
    Participant

Today I fished Spot M, this time M stood for Marfells beach.

The southerly cooled this off nicely, and it was quite chilly on the beach but the sea was nice and calm. Tide was low, and incoming. There was plenty of seabirds feeding on the beach, which was a good sign. If there was food on the beach, chances are these food on the sea bed.

Casted out three mussel baits then waited, while the tide slowly creep up the beach and towards my truck. The occasional ‘nibble’ got my attention but nothing significant. At around 8:30 I started to get worried so packed up and drove home.

“>
    The BOS do put a good bend in the rod by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

“>
    Colours of dusk by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

St_Paul
    Participant

I was not jinxing the fish!
    And I caught that damn mackerel in the end!

kaikourafisho
    Participant

well done shark slayer nice rig your haveing more luck than me i keep loseing mine dam it an breaking my gear only a few red cod an grey boy this weekend and a rig that run me up an down beach then decided to go home . 4.1 meter frewza,s are good boats my mates got one we used it to go diveing very stable was mint .hay im comeing thro to chch this weekend as my brothers just starting to surfcast
    an wants me to have a fish with him any ideas on where i could take him to have go at a rig or elephant fish or any fish
    as i dont fish in chch much one of his mates said somethink bout a bay in Lyttelton ???

yellowfin
    Participant

try birdlings or somewhere near there if sea and weather allow

yellowfin
    Participant

Amberly, Birdlings Flat or any of the bays in lyttelton are worth a go. Depends on weather and conditions on where you decide to go I guess. Easy enough to catch crabs at the pier if you’ve got a pot.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Kaikourafisho think I met you in kaikoura over the weekend? Driving the Dodge Ram?

yellowfin
    Participant

Some pics from the last month or two, has been a slow start to the season lots of nights of absolutely no action at the Pier and no luck with rig last weekend in Kaikoura although the conditions weren’t bad.

First rig of the season at the Pier last month

Second rig of the season at Diamond Harbour the next night

Some rig from Rarangi and Robin Hood Bay north of Blenheim last month

Few rig from Lyttelton

Pictures from the weekend in Kaikoura didn’t end up catching much but nice weather..

fishforpot
    Participant

Good effort Zac …

And good to see the reel on the beach handle down ….some I drive into anyone borrowing my gear , if they must lay the rod/reel on the ground then it’s handle down …

Miliwolf
    Participant

I throw my rod and reels onto the ground, they land where they land. Sand and salt is good for them.

yellowfin
    Participant

thats a skinny cod zac, that mullet almost looks fatter

keenfisherman
    Participant

Good pics Zac.
    I tried diamond Harbour myself last week. 2 big hits on the paddle crab baits, 1 hooked up for a few seconds, went like a freight train before busting me off in what looked like rocky/foul ground. Loads of crabs over there got about 40 in my crab pot over a time of 1 hour. Loads of sea lice over there aswell which is annoying.

kaikourafisho
    Participant

nice pictures zac an yup that was me in the dodge ram think it was you down from me at saw dust pits right ??
    an at the new warf ? i only ended up with 4 red cod on prawns an had a run on crayfish but bugger droped it
    but the swell got prety big a . did you like my mates parking that toyota surf go,s every where .
    so where at Amberly an Birdlings Flats do you go ? an is crab the go in chch

kaikourafisho
    Participant

oh an the 12kg rig i got the week before i told you about is on page 7 zac

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.